• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxi & VHD Jabs

Fairy Angel

Alpha Buck
I need some advice on jabs please!

Alfie is 3-4 months, has had no jabs and will need neutering. What age should he be for me to get these done?

Tilly is 2 and was spayed before Christmas. I'm not sure whether she has ever had any jabs or not so I need advice!

Thanks!

VHD jabs can be done from 10 weeks of age, myxi jabs from 6 weeks of age.

How long have you had Tilly and is there no way for you to find out if she has ever been vaccinated? (When I got Piper from honeybunny's rescue centre I got a document telling me when he had his myxi jab.)

All vets usually give a card with their dates of vaccination on them. It might pay to check with the people you got them from, otherwise to assume that they are not vaccinated.

Janice

if a bunny is gonna live alone as a house bun does he still need vaccinations? What about if i introduce a friend from a rescue centre, even if the friend has had them?

I know Alfie hasn't had any done for sure.

Just spoken to my O/H and it turns out Tilly has had VHD & myxi at some point but he doesn't know exactly when :roll: :roll:
She has none since Nov 04 for sure as that's when we got together and he already had her then. His ex dealt with everything rabbit-related before that.

He loves the buns to bits but he's a bit useless sometimes and I admit I was also slightly clueless til I came across this site.

How often do they need VHD & myxi jabs? They are both house buns as you may have seen from my pics.

Thanks for all your help, I just want to look after my two as best as I can.

Booster jabs are recommended every 12 months, or more often for myxi if in a high risk area (which a house bun presumably isn't).

Dan_K said:
if a bunny is gonna live alone as a house bun does he still need vaccinations? What about if i introduce a friend from a rescue centre, even if the friend has had them?

Yep, you can bring VHD into the house on your clothes and shoes....it's sooo easily spread. Myxi is spread by biting insects, but I honestly wouldn't take the risk of not getting the jabs done.

hi

Hi there

I get mine done every May, they need to have it at least 3 months before any poss outbreak and here that is Aug to Oct.

Id get both vaccs done whatever the lifestyle of the rabbits, its a cost you cant really mis out on really, ive seen rabbits die from Myx, not nice..

Sweety

Back