• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pros and Cons of Spaying?

ladystardust

Alpha Buck
I'm not sure what to do .. should I spay Sophie or not? She's really a delicate shy bun to begin with and I hated it when Flopsy came out after his castration and they weren't too keen on me taking him home. He was so lifeless and like a child wrapped up in a blanket.

What did you do?

What are the pros and cons? I know obviously I can't house Sophie with non castrated male ...

I'm just nervous ...

Pro's

- No longer a risk of her getting uterine cancer in later life (which is a high risk in unspayed older females)
- More likely to bond with another rabbit

Con's

- cost
- you'll worry about her when she has the op and feel like **** when you see her suffering for the first couple of days afterwards

For me the cancer risk was the deciding factor!

LeeG said:
Pro's

- you'll worry about her when she has the op and feel like **** when you see her suffering for the first couple of days afterwards

For me the cancer risk was the deciding factor!

You've definitely hit the nail on the head there for me :(

ladystardust said:
JCO said:
Something for you to read. I am 100% PRO spaying although I fully understand your aprehension. http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rwf/articles/uterine.htm Janex

Crikey!? 80%? Really?

That is truly shocking :cry: :shock:

The Rabbitlopaedia book quotes a 50% risk factor. But even 50% seems extremely high to me and I decided to get Molly spayed shortly after I got her.

It is now just under a week since her op. and she seems right as rain and I think she has forgiven me. 8)

As a rescue ARC spey all females who are brought into our care. In the past few weeks we have neutered almost 40 rabbits both male and female. I have had almost 20 through my house in that time :shock: Each one I keep indoors the night following surgery and if they are recovered well enough they will go back to their hutch the following evening. I have a couple of indoor cages I use, if I need more than that I will often make a temporary pen using wooden boards in the kitchen to keep them in and to keep them safe.

If I had rabbits of my own I would definately spey the females, whilst there are risks involved with speying females these risks are mintue in comparison to the high risk of developing utering cancer.

The important thing is to find a vet who is experienced at neutering rabbits, ARC certainly have one they can recomend for anyone in our area. If you live further away they are happy to take them in the night before surgery and they will also allow your rabbits partner to stay with them.

Janice

No-one knows the cancer risk because so many rabbits die unexpectedly and don't have a post mortem. What we do know is that it's high, which is the deciding factor for me. Spaying is invasive and expensive, both of which are a worry to a lot of people, but it's much better than the alternative of cancer.

My two will definitely be spayed when they're old enough!

jrn1310 said:
I have a couple of indoor cages I use, if I need more than that I will often make a temporary pen using wooden boards in the kitchen to keep them in and to keep them safe.

Janice

Thank you Janice. I will probably get my local vet at Seadown (Hythe) to complete the op for me.

I was thinking of using a similar idea and maybe something soft for her to lie on. I do recall someone mentioning the use of a childs top to keep the wound from being bitten at

Back