• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How long after a spay should a bun eat?(update) :(

As you know Daisys just been spayed,shes not eaten since shes come home,how long should it be before she eats?Should I syringe in some recovery?Or is this normal for a bunny not to eat after a spay??Sorry for this question it may sound silly,but my other rabits were all done before i had them??

It's fairly normal for girls not to want to eat the same evening, it's quite invasive surgery, although if you can tempt her to munch on even something tiny, that would be good. Just keep her warm, make sure she has something to drink and offer her lots of different tasty things. She should be eating by morning - if she isn't, she probably needs to go back to the vet for some more painkillers.

Molly didn't eat for about 24 hours, but she did drink. Then it took a while for her digestive system to kick back into action and it was about 36 hours before she pooped and 48 hours before she was eating and pooping normally.

That was less than a week ago. She is now absolutely fine, like nothing ever happened. Except for her little bare tummy of course!

It is much much better if she does eat the same night. Both the girls I had speyed yesterday were eating last night. If you are comfortable with syringe feeding and it won't stress her it would be good to give her some recovery, that way you don't have to worry any more :wink: If you can tempt her to eat a few tasty mouthfuls that is as good. I gave mine coriander and parsley. They also ate spring greens and carrot, which I wasn't expecting them to want that soon. And a few pellets. The thing is to get something in so the guts keep moving, doesn't need to be much, but something, especially as she may actually feel worse tomorrow as the anesthetic wears off and feel even less like eating.

Make sure she continues to drink. Dehydration can happen very quickly and is much more dangerous than skipping a meal. Offer her all of her favorite foods as well as her normal food so she can find something she wants to nibble at. Both of my girls loved a mix of grated carrot and mashed banana.

Hope daisy has a quick recovery!

:shock: Still cant get her to eat iv tryed pear,carrots cabbage and celery,just given her pain killer,do you think its back to vet :cry: Should i be worrying am i over reacting?
Shes done some poos but soft ones,is this normal?

Hi when I had my bun done a couple of months ago, the first night she was really thirsty. I kept holding the water dish under her chin as she was not moving around. She did not start to nibble food until almost morning. Then it was parsley that tempted her. Probably better to ring vets for advice as mine told me to get in touch if she had not eaten by next morning. Good luck bet she will start eating soon. Pam

twilightpagan said:
:shock: Still cant get her to eat iv tryed pear,carrots cabbage and celery,just given her pain killer,do you think its back to vet :cry: Should i be worrying am i over reacting?
Shes done some poos but soft ones,is this normal?

See what she is like once the pain killer has kicked in, have you got some fresh grass you can tempt her with? Even moisten the pellets for her and roll them in a small ball and try and hand feed them. Grated or shredded veg is often more tempting than a whole bit.

The fact she has poo'd is good, doesn't matter what consistency as long as she is going.

Janice

Is she still wearing the collar? If so take it off. I can't believe vets can be so stupid as to put them on rabbits.
Has he put external stiches? If he has I would seriously think about finding another vet.

As the others have said wait till the pain killer works and then try again with all sorts of anything you can think of. Just leave them in with her so she can nibble when she feels like it. She may not be inclined to eat with you standing over her.

Does she normally live out and you've brought her in? This is the right thing to do but if she's not eating she may feel happier in her normal home which might encourage her to eat - so maybe put her back outside?
If she hasn't eaten by tonight you could take her back to the vet for her to have an injection to keep her guts moving and encourage her to eat. Our vet gives this as a matter of course.

Keep trying and keep your chin up old girl! :D xx

Sorry didn't realise she had a collar on, remove it. Operative techniques such as internal sutures and glue should be used by vets so that rabbits don't need collars. She will struggle to eat with a collar and will be so stressed out this will put her off eating.

Janice

jrn1310 said:
Sorry didn't realise she had a collar on, remove it. Operative techniques such as internal sutures and glue should be used by vets so that rabbits don't need collars. She will struggle to eat with a collar and will be so stressed out this will put her off eating.

Janice

Spice had internal & external stitches. Then glue & staples. Then a collar. She's off to have everything removed tonight but there's nothing left :oops: She's healed over though & had a couple of antibiotic jabs. It never stopped her eating. Apparently she was munching on hay within a few minutes of waking up :D (Definitely a member of my family then!!)

[quote="Angie65" [/quote]

Spice had internal & external stitches. Then glue & staples. Then a collar. She's off to have everything removed tonight but there's nothing left :oops: She's healed over though & had a couple of antibiotic jabs. It never stopped her eating. Apparently she was munching on hay within a few minutes of waking up :D (Definitely a member of my family then!!)[/quote]

Angie - do you mean that Spice has removed the stitches, staples etc? In all the hundreds of bunnies which have gone through ARC's hands we have had 2 I think which have ever opened anything up.

Collars are renowned for causing rabbits problems with eating as many cannot get their heads into the bowl with them on.

Janice

Shes not wearing the collar she pulled it off yesterday and iv not put it back on,I gave her painkillers at 6.30am,but she wont eat iv mixed recovery too in a bowl she wont touch it,shes also a bit agressive think its hurting bless her,the vet surgested to bring her in??Will keep you posted,im almost wishing now i never took her to be spayed! :(

awww the poor little girlie!, I hope she starts eating soon. It's so worrying when they do this. You never know how your bunny will react after a spay or neauter. Gypsy is very sensitive and was very scared, jumpy and frightened afterwards, and also wouldn't eat. Luckily she started eating by her self towards the end of the next day. I was very worried about getting Storm done because of how Gypsy reacted after her op, but he jumped out of his pet box and binkyed around the room before eating everything in sight! :shock: .
It might be worth ringing the vet and having a chat with them. I hope she will start eating something soon.

Some are also sensative to their surroundings, I had one who would not eat, drink or poop at the vets, it stayed in overnight and still nothing. I was asked to collect it and on the way home there appeared a large puddle and started nibbling on dandelion leaves as soon as we got home! It might pay to try her in her normal surroundings and see what happens.

Janice

There is a thread like this one started by me, on the same issue. The answer is approx. 24 hr.- 48 hr., the bunny should start eats a little bit.

I started a post a few weeks ago about this one when Kahlo was spayed! She refused to eat anything for about 24 hours, and then would only nibble on bits of parsley. Even 2 days later she was still only eating very small amounts of pellets and veg. Then suddenly it was as if nothing had happened and she was back to creating havoc and eating for England.... hang in there and keep tempting her with stuff xx

jrn1310 said:
[quote="Angie65"

Spice had internal & external stitches. Then glue & staples. Then a collar. She's off to have everything removed tonight but there's nothing left :oops: She's healed over though & had a couple of antibiotic jabs. It never stopped her eating. Apparently she was munching on hay within a few minutes of waking up :D (Definitely a member of my family then!!)[/quote]

Angie - do you mean that Spice has removed the stitches, staples etc? In all the hundreds of bunnies which have gone through ARC's hands we have had 2 I think which have ever opened anything up.

Collars are renowned for causing rabbits problems with eating as many cannot get their heads into the bowl with them on.

Janice[/quote]

Yup. I've had 6 rabbit spays in total(nothing like yours!!). Spice had internal & external stitches. She removed the external, which caused a bit of infection. There wasn't a lot of blood. The vets then stapled her up & she removed those. Then she got glue & a collar! The collar lasted seconds! She hated it! Her sister pulled out her external stitches but that was all. All my others have been ok. Spice might have been the one who played with her stitches the most, but the spaying itself didn't seem to bother her. She's been ok in herself. Spice does tend to clean herself a lot though, so maybe that has something to do with it??!

The vet felt her tummy and it was hard,shes given her 2 jabs,and they have tryed to give her recovery which was difficult to give,im to keep an eye on her and if no better tomorrow she may have to go back.
Whilst i was waiting the vet left the computor screan on and i saw this on the screen of Daisys notes,what does it mean?
"hemetoma at cervical stump,could not prevent the loath,2 explore as not to cause furthur trauma"?? :shock:
I havent a clue what that meant,probally something to do with her spay.

Im hopeing she will start eating soon,she has fresh vegs in her cage which normally she wont refuse so fingers crossed now.Thanks everyone for your replys.

Poor Daisy :(.

I'm not exactly sure what the vet's notes mean but I think a haemetoma is a blood clot and I guess it was situated at the point where they detached her uterus. Did you ask the vet about it? If your vet's a good one I'm sure they would have told you about it if it was important.

Have you tried offering Daisy herbs? When my bun was refusing all other foods she would nibble parsley and basil leaves. A handful of fresh grass might also tempt her. In order to get Hope to start eating again I literally had to hold food right up to her mouth and keep it there til she gave in and took a bite.

I really hope she feels better very soon.

Anna x

Back