• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice please

baby04

Warren Scout
Hi,

My hubby finally let me have a bunny at the weekend. :D
Well I know I shouldn't have but we were in pets at home and I saw the most adorable lop ear bunny and we brought him.
Well last night I was finally able to stroke him and I felt a rough bit on his back.
On closer inspection it is a healing cut about an inch long it looks clean and not infected and as I say it is healing. It has not happened here it looks too healed for that. But he was in an enclosure with two other rabbits and about seven guinea's. One guinea at that point was actually being a bully with the others and one of the assisstants caught him as he felt he was causing damage only for an older assisstant to come over and put it back in :!:
Anyway I phoned the store up a few minutes ago to complain that nobody had told me he had a cut and to keep an eye on it. I am sure someone must have seen it as he is white and it is a long and looked like it was quite deep.
The duty manager was apologetic and said they always give the animals a quick check over before selling them so I said well they didn't check very thoroughly then. We went round in circles for a few minutes then I said that rabbits and guinea's should not be together in the first place and she was stunned by this and asked where I had heard it :!:
I also complained that the bunnies are eating guinea pig food she replied they come in being fed on the guinea food as it is easier for rabbits to digest than the junior rabbit food. Is this true :?: I said I have never heard that before and surely it can't be right she went on to say that all staffv are trained in animal husbandry and know what is right and what is not :!:

Anyway my questions are
1. does it sound like a guinea, rabbit or other injury it is not a bite as it is one long line no other marks, as surely a bite woulb be one or two puncture marks right :?:

2. Is it right what she said about the food :?:

I know buying from there was not the best idea and wish I hadn't but it was the surprise that Ian finally relented after all I have been trying to persuade him since Peter left us last year :!:

SORRY IT IS SO LONG

Thanks
Tracey

Firstly Guinea pig food is no way any good for rabbits!!!This shop doesnt no what they are talking about :shock: Its hard to say who bite your bunny, if its a long line it could be a bunny as they also kick with their legs with quite severe concequences.But you could take the bun to the vet for their opinion,Id report the shop,If you have any hibiscrub you can dilute this and bath the wound to make sure it heals ok,salt water will do the same,but im sure you know this already :D p@h have a reputation for not looking after the animals coreectly Id definatly complaine send a email.These shops annoy me :evil: :(

P@H talk so much rubbish :evil: makes me so beludy mad!

Guinea's should NOT be kept with buns - you were right about that
rabbits should not be fed Guinea pig food either!

The injury sounds like it was caused by another rabbit or guinea.

when you take your new bun for jabs just have the vet look it over!

Well done for speaking to the manager though!

Bonnie

I took a rabbit off this certain shop as I got a phone call one evening asking me if i could take it as it had snuffles and the vets in thir shop said she hasn't responded to treatment (baytril). I was actually full at the time but my conscience got the better of me and I went and picked her up as otherwise she would have been pts and I would never have lived with myself. We have been trying different antibiotics to see which will help her the best. She is a very loving bun and very friendly.

Thank you I thought I was right about the food and I am about to phone the vets for an appointment.
Snowy is 11 weeks old am I right in saying he is old enough for the myxi jab :?:

I should be getting a phone call from the manager today so I will complain big time.

Thanks everyone I just needed it all confirmed.

lynda_m said:
Let us know how your rant with the manager goes!
....in one in and out 't'other if it is anything like the ongoing 'dialogue' I have been having with the Manager of our local branch of THAT PLACE.... :x :roll: :roll: Janex

Well surprise surprise no phonecall :!: :evil:
I will phone again tomorrow. I thought they might have phoned when I popped out but no.

Tracey

baby04 said:
Well surprise surprise no phonecall :!: :evil:
I will phone again tomorrow. I thought they might have phoned when I popped out but no.

Tracey

That is sheer ignorance! I would report them to a higher authority

How is your new bun settling in? Did you have to take it to the vets? I s'pose P@H aren't willing to pay for the vet bill even if they had been in touch!

I got Bob from pets at home and I now know (Bob's my first bunny) that p@h do not have a particularly good reputation. Bob didn't eat or go to the toilet for 3 days, at first I thought it was just him being scared and getting used to his surroundings, but turns out he had bloat.

To be fair to p@h though, when I took him back one of the girls there recognised it as bloat straight away and promptly whisked him away for treatment, from which he was fine a few days later. I know that everyone on here moans like mad at p@h, but sometimes they're not all bad, perhaps I just happened to be served that day by someone who actually knew what they were talking about.

Doesn't get over the fact though that they should have realised he had bloat before letting me have him first.

Anyhow, I hope ur bunny heals soon.

How awful! I have to say I've never been keen on pets @ home for any animals - have you seen the budgies? They're practically geriatric! :( They keep far too many aimals in the same space and they always keep rabbits with guinea pigs :evil: (they look like they've been there for years as well).

If you report them I think it would probably be RSPCA, I don't think Trading Standards would deal with it as not a breach of any legislation I'm aware of (animals are described as 'goods' in consumer legislation) unless your local Trading Standards' Animal Health department would deal with it.

(Not keen on pet shops in general. I bought my bunny from a garden centre and they got her gender wrong, there was a big matt of rubbish on her belly and they were feeding her rubbish food.)

baby04 said:
I also complained that the bunnies are eating guinea pig food she replied they come in being fed on the guinea food as it is easier for rabbits to digest than the junior rabbit food. Is this true :?: I said I have never heard that before and surely it can't be right she went on to say that all staffv are trained in animal husbandry and know what is right and what is not :!:

Hey Tracey :)

When they do finally bother phoning you back ask them this...
"If guinea pig food is so much better for baby bunnies WHY do they manufacture the junior rabbit product?!!!!" :roll:
I'd like to see what she says to that :evil:

The only reason they give G. Pig food is because the piggies can't have the bunny food as they don't supplement the piggies(& rabbits) diets with enough vegetables & fruit to ensure they get enough vitamin C etc.
But instead of saying it they have to LIE! I really do dispise that company.
Another reason why they shouldn't be housed together. Grrrrrrrr! :evil:

Well done for complaining! :D

Hi'

I've been playing chase the manager :!:
I don't think he wants to speak to me :evil:.
I am writing an email to complain about the while thing. I will let you know what happens.

Tracey

guinea pig food is too high in protien for rabbits and can cause diarrhea (which in turn can lead to flystrike etc...). a rabbits diet should consist mainly of hay to provide a high percentance of fibre and encourage correct wear on the teeth to prevent malocclusion.

this is of course without mentioning the physical dangers of keeping the two species together or bordetella bronchiseptica....

in other words pets at home are bullshitting. again. :evil:

Hi the same thing happen to me. I got my first bunny from P&H at the end of last year and when I got her home I noticed a scab on her back. I took her to the vets for a check up and she had a look and took some of the scab to the lab to test just to make sure it wasn't mites or anything. Luckily is wasn't I think maybe she got it from fighting with the other bunnies or guinea pigs that were in with her.

I thought it was just one of those things but now the same thing has happened to someone else it makes you think how many more bunnies have got something wrong with them!

Lynda and bunnies

p.s they didn't check my bunny over before giving her to me they just put her in a box and told me what I need to buy.

the P@H store I got Bob from didn't check him over either. I guess if they had they would have found that he had bloat. The one where I got Archie the hamster from though had it's own vets practice in the store and the vet checked him over before we left.

We took Bob back there for his neutering operation, they seemed very competent.

Pets @ Home did the same thing with me. Gave me a bunny to hold for 10 mins, she seemed so quiet, all she did was snuggle up under my chin, when I said I would like to take her they bundled her into a box and then went on to tell me all the other things I would need for her (almost £200 worth of stuff including the bunny). They told me not to handle her once I had got her home for at least 24hrs to allow her to get used to her new surroundings. What total rubbish, within that 24hrs Candy was running round my house like a mad thing, jumping around and being very playful, not the subdued little lady she was in the shop. Just makes me wonder what they did with her to make her so quiet.

As she had grown up she is anything but quiet and since then has never liked to be picked up but will alway get as close to us as she can when she wants a cuddle even burrowing under or between legs.

That place is awful, they don't look after the animals properly, new owners are sold so much that just isn't needed and advice on cages etc is rubbish. I don't doubt that some of the staff do care for the animals but the shop policies don't seem to allow them to do much more that sell, sell, sell.

I complained to them about the first cage I was sold for candy, which was taken off sale for a short amount of time, mine was replaced (at extra cost to me), they just don't care, thats the top and bottome of it.

Sorry to rant on and on like this.

Back