• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Moulting?

I'm not sure about the answer :? I was thinking about that the other day though.
As for my buns, some of them are in a constant moult cycle, while others rarely moult.

xxx

should have two seasonal moults. one in spring/early summer and a second in the winter, though house rabbits kept at more or less a constant temprature seem to moult al year round.

Thanks! Was just wondering. One of mine moulted in winter, and she's mouting again now even though she's an indoor rabbit. It has gone freezing though, but then...it's been freezing for months now!

I'm not sure I'd recognise moulting if Isaw it on Bob, every time I pick him up he leaves what seems like half his body in hair on me - though he is all white and it does sow up easily on all my dark clothes!

I've just noticed that my two are moulting at the moment, but I thought it would be alittle bit early for this??

i notice that as soon as the temperature in the house goes a bit warmer he sheds like a fat man trying to get rid of a fur coat. this has happened at all kinds of odd times throughout the year with no logic, so it seems to be strictly temperature related. tho the worst of it did seem to be last fall.

I read somewhere that buns moult every 3 months or so. They just shed their coat irrelevent to the weather. Orio does moult every 3 months, Pepper is having her first proper moult now and she is nearly a year old.

Back