• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rex with a large abcess under his chin

loulouembers

Warren Scout
My Rex, who is not yet a year old has suddenly developed an abcess under his chin. At first I thought it was just his dewlap growing but the lump is almost the size of a golf ball and very hard. It has come up very quickly.
My vet says he doesnt think it is connected to his jaw so not a tooth problem but he cannot be sure if it is a one-off or will re-develop and be a continuing problem.
Has anyone any advice? He is a happy healthy rabbit in every other way.

Thanx
Louisa

Don't the vets have to burst it? They did with my Flints & he had antibiotics & an op to remove the infected area.

The vet said Flint would need a g/a and to have the abcess cut out. He hoped it would come out in one go. He said rabbit pus is thick and waxy and didnt suggest draining it?

Hiya. I'd say that having the abscess surgically removed will be the best option. Lancing it might drain some pus but the abscess cavity wall will contain infected tissue so more pus will form. If your Vet can remove the entire abscess capsule and it is NOT tooth root related then hopefully it wont recur. Taking a swab of the abscess cavity wall would enable your Vet to prescribe the most appropriate post surgical antibiotic therapy. If Baytril is given I would question this as quite often Baytril is not effective. Jane x

What a crying shame, in my experience ive done both had it cut out whole and had it drained with after treatment. :cry: neither worked. They are noteories for spreading and it can reacure.Best chance is remove it hoping it is unbroken but even then there is a high risk to it coming back there or in another place. Sorry i carnt tell you some good news. val

I found Flnts abscess on a Friday night, had him at the vets on Saturday, vet burst it, then on Monday he was back in & had his G/a & op on the Tuesday. It had healed over on the Monday, but was still pus-filled. He was on Baytril for a week, but stopped eating, so vet gave him a couple of painkiller jabs & an antibiotic jab, then a jab to get him to eat (it had been 3 days & I was syringe feeding-& not enough). He had his 5 stitches removed last Friday & now he's back to his bouncy self :D

Lets hope it dosent come back but i think its cleared qicker than i would have expected.Lets hope is one of the kucky ones :D val

Charlie had quite a nasty abcess on his chin when he was about 1 - it came up very quickly, was fairly big and hard.

TMy vet and I discussed the options and we decided we may as well try to drain if first, and only take the step of removing it under GA if it came back.

The vet lanced it, lots of thick smelly cheesy stuff came out - he rinsed inside with something (I assume saline solution), gave Charlie antibiotic jab, and oral antibiotics to take home. I bathed it for a few days, it healed up. Never came back.

So, I know other people have had bad experiences but I thought it might be good for you to know that things can go well with them too. :)

Back