• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mite control?

hoppitylops

Warren Scout
I was wondering what people use to control any mites, flys, fleas etc in our bunny environment, i dont use anything at the moment but i thought that with the summer coming.....well hopefully :D that i should use some sort of repellant......

The majority of people don't use preventative mite treatment on their bunnies as resistance to these treatments can occur. The best thing people can do is to ensure that you use decent hay which is fresh and stored in a dry place, you use a discinfectant when cleaning out hutches and that you ensure a stress free envioroment for your animals.

Some people use fly papers and natural fly repellants like lavendar around their hutches.

Janice

I'm a big fan of fly papers... but make sure they are well secured! I once looked out of the window to see my cat running round and rund the garden where she had been in the rabbit shed and the fly paper had fallen on her :roll: having said that, she probably pulled it down :lol:

As for fleas, mites... I would say vermin control (where possible) and just keep an eye open so you can treat any infestation.

Fleas in rabbits nine times out of ten come from your cat if you have one , or foxes that come in your garden. Make sure you keep a cat deflead. Most rabbits can have mites but they are a minor problem. When and if they become a problem then the best treatment is ivermectin from the vet.Unless your rabbit is indorrs or in a shed its hard to keep away miggies and flys. A good repelent is best for that sprayed on, something like zentex. This can be got from the vet without seeing them and although costly about £13 it would last 2years because you would only be using it in the summer. val val

Yes for flies I use citronella candles outside close to the hutch & one by my back door. flypapers are handy too, although nothing works better than cleaning the dirty area's daily & ensuring bun doesn't become overweight so that he can clean his bum :D

Sarah_Jane said:
BlackCat said:
I'm a big fan of fly papers... but make sure they are well secured!

Sorry what are Fly papers? :)

They are just sticky strips that smell nice to flies, they then get stuck on them. You can buy them in all supermarkets usually near the nice smellies for the house or where the ant killer, matches are etc. :D

Oh wow I didn't know about those, But is it bad if the bun munch on the paper, as I know Charlie will do as hes a naughty monkey! :)

Sarah_Jane said:
Oh wow I didn't know about those, But is it bad if the bun munch on the paper, as I know Charlie will do as hes a naughty monkey! :)

If I use them I nail them on the outside of the hutch/run where they can't reach or attach to a door frame high enough for them to not reach if indoors :)

Back