• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Malcolm fell in the toilet!!!!!

D

Damo122

Malcolm just fell in the toilet! I left the bathroom door open while I was having my breakfast and when i went back in to brush my teeth there was water everywhere.

I realised what must have happened and rushed in to check on them and sure enough Malcolms back feet and bottom are wet.

He's lying in his cage chewing his grass mat so seems ok at teh moment but I'm worried because I use Blue Loo in the cistern and I don't know if this will make him ill.

I don't know what i should do. Should I try and rinse him in the sink?

Gonna be late for work to!!

Damien

Hiya :D . YES YOU MUST RINSE HIM ASAP. You need to ensure he is dried well afterwards too. The sooner you rinse him off the less chance he will have to ingest HIGHLY TOXIC chemicals. You flippin men never put the loo seat down!! :roll: :wink: If you get Malcolm rinsed off I am sure he will be OK. Jane and Buns xx

Hi Thanks,

I haven't got any rabbit shampoo, can I use mine? Actually I guess not thinking about it. dam

I just rang the vet and they said it's probably best if i bring him in so they can wash him.

Oh dear!!! best bring him to the vets to be safe than sorry!

I hope your bun doesn't try and lick it off in the meantime?!?!

at least if you take him in you know they'll do it properly.

and no my hubby knows why i always close the lid!

Yeah I'll be closing it from now on to. I read about rabbits falling in head first and drowning and I've been paraonoid about it ever since, so I always shut the bathroom door - just got distracted this morning.

Anyway I've just moved to Middlesex and Malcolm and Sandy are registered with the Beaumont animal hospital in Camden which is about an hour away. There is a local vet about five minutes from me but I haven't got round to registering yet however I thought I'd stop in on route and see if they would see Malcolm for me anyway.

I got really bad vibes as soon as I walked in. The place was really run down and there wasn't a single rabbit related item on display.

I spoke to the vet who said that he would see Malcolm but he was so offish / disinterested that I left and drove to the Beaumont instead.

They were great. The vet said that Malcolm seems fine but that he definately needs washing and drying. I'm back at work now but will be going to pick up at 16:00.

I was just wondering whether I should be asking them to give him a shot of antibiotics just incase he picked up any bugs from the toilet? The vet didn't suggest so maybe I'm being paranoid.

Damien

I doubt Malcolm needs antibiotics. I am sure that now all the chemicals are washed off he will be fine. Lots of nice hay to munch and a good drink of water is what he'll need. The Vet may have given him some fluids by sub-cutaneous injection just to help his kidneys flush things through. I'd love to have been a fly-on-the-wall when you explained to your employer why you were late for work. Bet they haven't heard the 'my rabbit fell down the toilet' excuse before :lol: :lol: Jane x

Let’s just say rank has its privileges. :wink:

Luckily I can work flexibly so I'll make the time up - but yes it did cause some amusement.

Damien

Rosie and Saffy have a fascination with our downstairs WC i went to go in their the otherday and when i went to shut the door Rosie was in there with me - must remember to leave the loo seat down i think

Just got back home with Malcolm. Not sure who got the biggest shock. Him when he fell in the toilet or me when i got the bill for £85.00's.

Mind you that did include the Myxi jabs they had while they were there.

They were very stressed when i collected them but they seem ok now. Malcolm lept straight into his litter tray as soon as i opened the carrier. I think he was bursting for a pee - must have been holding it all day.

Just thankful that he's ok.

Damien

Damo122 said:
Just got back home with Malcolm. Not sure who got the biggest shock. Him when he fell in the toilet or me when i got the bill for £85.00's

Damien
:shock: :shock: That is one expensive hair wash!! Glad Malcolm is OK. I confess I have shown this post to my 'Ex' but now 'Best Friend' as his name is........MALCOLM!! :lol: :lol: Janex

Aww I'm glad Malcolm is ok now bless him.

I must admit, I have NEVER heard of a bun falling in the loo! :D That's some litter training you've done there!!!

hmmmm actually he doesn't seem ok at all. he's just sitting huddled up in his litter tray (which isn't normal for him) in a spinx like state and his eyes are really sunken and dull.

I think I'm going to go to Sainsbury and see if I can get him a hotwater bottle.

He's still a bit damp so might help cheer him up.

Damien

Oh dear. Everytime Binky gets upstairs he always stares in at the bathroom. Maybe I should make sure the door is closed at all times. :oops:

Damo122 said:
hmmmm actually he doesn't seem ok at all. he's just sitting huddled up in his litter tray (which isn't normal for him) in a spinx like state and his eyes are really sunken and dull.

I think I'm going to go to Sainsbury and see if I can get him a hotwater bottle.

He's still a bit damp so might help cheer him up.

Damien
He is probably stressed out by all the events of the day. Keeping him warm and quiet and ensuring he has hay/water and his fave Veggies will help. He should poop/wee overnight but IF he has not done so and has not eaten I would call your Vet for advice. Where in Middlesex are you. If near Twickenham there is a VERY GOOD Bunny Vet I can recommend. PM me if you want the contact details. Janex

Ok panic over. I came back from Sainsbury with the hot water bottle and he was running around. I wrapped the bottle up nicely and put it in the cage and he set about trying to shred the cover. Bottle removed - rabbit back to normal :wink:

Glad to hear he's ok !! Never heard of a bunny falling down the toilet before :shock:

Skip comes into the toilet but normally when i'm sitting on it :oops:

He then proceeds to sit in the corner and wee, well i guess it is the toilet :lol: :lol:

linnyloo said:
Glad to hear he's ok !! Never heard of a bunny falling down the toilet before :shock:

Skip comes into the toilet but normally when i'm sitting on it :oops:

He then proceeds to sit in the corner and wee, well i guess it is the toilet :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: Love is a communal wee!! :lol: :lol: Janex

Back