• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teeths! (and balls)

Oh la la

Warren Scout
How long can the rabbits teeth be before you call it overgrown?
Fabian has been acting wierd the last few days. Have a feeling its his teeths. He doesnt clean him bum. :cry: Something is wrong.

Nicola C said:
Hi Oh la la,
I'm not an expert I'm afraid, but if you look at this section it may help:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/tam/viewtopic.php?t=5553

I hope your bun is ok. Is her rear end covered in poop?
Nicola x

Thanx Nicola.

His rear is not covered with poop. Its a bit wet though. I've taken him inside. His cage on the veranda needs a good wash with hot water.
Hopefully he'll be fine after a day or two with hay and water.

Here is a photo of his teeths.

Fabianstenner.jpg

Hiya. His incisors look OK but he may have a problem with his molars. If he has early stage spurs on his Molars they may be scratching into his cheek/tongue. This would hurt him and make him less likely to want to clean himself. Or maybe he cant clean his bum due to spinal discomfort. I would take him to your Vet so as any problem can be identified and treated. Meantime you will need to clean his Bum regularly until he is able to do so for himself. Jane x

I've cleaned his bum. :D It went better than expected. My sister used to be the bum cleaner when I lived home with my parents. I had a orange lop who loved to sit in a big bucket with water. He sat there and my sister cleaned his bum. He never tried to jump away.

Ingunn, have you checked his back teeth as Jane said? It's not very easy to see, so you really have to put a finger in and have a feel around ........ it is best to use a finger that you don't use too much as you might not get it back!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is it possible that he could be a bit overweight? It can easily happen, especially if he has been eating some of your other buns' share. (You know what buns are like :roll: )

If he could be a bit pudgy this might explain his problem cleaning his bum.

P.S. agree with Jane front teeth (incisors) look fine.

I agree too, his front teeth look fine.

What diet does he have. Sometimes a diet too high in protein/low in fibre means they produce lots of ceceal droppings (the sqidy ones) and they don't eat them so they get stuck to the fur.

Tam

conny said:
Ingunn, have you checked his back teeth as Jane said? It's not very easy to see, so you really have to put a finger in and have a feel around ........ it is best to use a finger that you don't use too much as you might not get it back!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is it possible that he could be a bit overweight? It can easily happen, especially if he has been eating some of your other buns' share. (You know what buns are like :roll: )

If he could be a bit pudgy this might explain his problem cleaning his bum.

P.S. agree with Jane front teeth (incisors) look fine.

Fabian, Elvira and Millie live in seperate cages, so I would be suprised if he ate some of Millie and Elviras food. He is not overweight, well I wouldnt call him that. He's about 10 months old now and may look large when he's next to Elvira who's only 3 months. :bunny: :rabbit2:

P1013925.jpg

I had to clean Fabians bum again today and when i washed him i found something that looked like long thin poop stuck to his skin. When I think more about the "poop" can look like a tiny dried black ball. He got neutered in November. Any ideas?

Back