• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Beebie going to vets monday, not using her back legs well

bunnies

Alpha Buck
Beebie has always not used her back legs that well, but today she`s dragging them along and not to steady at the back end.

Shes moving around eating and grooming Bracken but she`s not right and I`m really worried about her.

The appointment is for 9am and i`m asking for xrays to be arranged so we can see whats going on.

Any thoughts on what it may be??

Well the vet had a really good examination of her back legs and can`t find anything out of place or broken.

She is moving aroun d loads better this morning and was moving well at the vets, but a bit lazy with her back legs, which she has always been like.

So going to see how she go`s for a few days, and having possible xrays.

I cant understand why she`s lazy behind, but is moving around her shed & run, eating, drinking, pooing and grooming Bracken so she can`t be in pain or disomfort other wise she would just not move and look unhappy.

Have had a thought about taking Beebie to see a animal mctimony/chiropractor to have a look at her back and back legs :!:

Anyone used such a person for their rabbits, and know of one in the berks/south oxon area.

Rabbit savey vets in my area, south oxon, north berks

You may have read about my Beebie in other posts, the vet I use to see has now left the pratice and she was very good with rabbits.

Their are no good rabbit savey vets at my vets, so am looking for a vet I can move to but not to far.

cheers
mandy
x

My rabbit Benny had hind limb weakness last year. I noticed he was having difficulty getting in and out of his litter tray as he kept clipping the side when he jumped out. I read about E Cuniculi on the internet as a possible cause and suggested it to my vet at the time who initially dismissed the idea. I insisted on blood tests and they came back EC positive. After a short treatment of Panacur (worming treatment) Benny was cured!

Maybe you could mention E Cuniculi to your vet. I don't think mine was very clued up on rabbits!

We had xrays done yesterday and they show no skelaton on any broken/fractures on her, but she`s still not that great on her legs.

We have decided that its her near side rear leg which is the most weakest, and shes on panacur, baytrill and from today metacam injections.

She very happy in herself eating, drinking pooing and moving around, but its so distressing seeing her move like this.

Her bum is a bit wet which is because she can`t position well to wee, and so giving her a bum wash later and then drying with hairdryer.

She lives out in her shed, in this weather is it really good to wash her everyday, I know I can`t leave the urine on her but i don`t want her getting a chill. I do have baby wipes which i use as well and sudocream on the reddish bits.

At the moment I feel that i`m not doing enough for her and not noing what is causing this is so distressing.

Oh, i forgot shes having blood tests done for EC.

Sorry for rambling along but i`m so not sure what to do for the best :(

mandy

Mandy, I use the Beaumont Vet Hospital in Oxford. I have had no unusual illnesses with my rabbits so I am unsure how they would be with your problem but I have really warmed to the vetHannah who is based at the Kidlington part of this group. She seems to really like rabbits and being a group of three practices with a hospital, I think she would be really good for you. You might want to send her a fax today and outline your problem and ask her if it is in her expertise prior to travelling.

Sorry but i`ve been off line since last week, forum wouldn`t let me back in :?

Update on Beebie she`s been on 12ml metacam injections daily since last thursday and on saturday she was 100% better my hubby and best friend who had seen her before were in total amazement :shock:

She`s hopping around and useing her back legs, which off course i`m really pleased with,BUT .............................

If shes totally sound on these injections what will happen when they stop today, i have my fingers crossed that with pain relief she has forgotten about her lack of movement or will it mean back to the old Beebie :!:

fingers and everything crossed

Back