• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Something on Smudges Neck/back

Melndan

Mama Doe
I was giving Smudge a fuss earlier and tickled him at the top of his back, and I felt something on his skin.

We eventually managed to get hold of him to have a look, and it looks and feels a bit like a scab, but it's about the size of a penny (maybe a touch bigger). I haven't noticed it before but then, I don't normally tickle him just there.

I don't think anything has happened to him here, surely I would have noticed him bleeding. I have had him about 6 weeks (ish).
Could it have been something that happened before I got him or could it be something more sinister.
It doesn't seem to bother him, but would it be worth a trip to the vets do you think?

Is it kinda near his shoulder? If it is it could be an injection site. Sooty had something similar come up about 4 days after his castration. The scab will eventually lift off so don't worry about it.

In fact the spot where Sooty's was the fur has grown back white! :shock:

dont worry too much has he been vaccinated / neutered lately? When i got rosie i took her for her Myxi jab and the vet found a scab on her i felt awful that id missed it but she said it was an old bite wound or something and just to keep an eye on it but its totally gone now and nothing bad happened - now you know its there try and keep an eye on it but it should probably come off soon

When one of my rex had a bald scratched patch on his back it was the first sign he had mites. Does your rabbit have any dandruff style bits in his fur?

Bob had bloat when we first got him and a few days later after he came back from the vets he had something similar come up but it went a few days later. I assumed it was something to do with the medication he had been given.

Sue&Sooty said:
Is it kinda near his shoulder? If it is it could be an injection site. Sooty had something similar come up about 4 days after his castration. The scab will eventually lift off so don't worry about it.

In fact the spot where Sooty's was the fur has grown back white! :shock:

Yes . It's inbetween his shoulder blades. I thought it might be something to do with the vets as he has just been castrated, but I thought it was a bit big. Like I said , it is about the size of a penny!!!

He hasn't got any dandruffy bits as I have checked him over thoroughly since finding the scab!!!

Are jab scabs normally that big?

Thank you all for your replies. I feel a bit more at ease now and I shall keep a close eye on it.
Thanks again x

Back