• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

she isnt going to the toilet

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
I took my bunny to the vets today for her myxmatosis vaccination, since she has been back she has not used her litter tray once! usually she will have left droppings all over the floor and used her litter tray within 10 minutes of bring in the house. She has been in the kitchen with me for almost 5 hours now and there is not one dropping on the floor!

I am starting to get really worried now, is this normal?

If she's been stressed by the vet trip, put her back where she usually lives and leave her to settle down again - give her some of her fav. food and if she drinks out of a bottle, hold it to her mouth and she may well drink - they forget about it when they're really upset - Hope she's OK soon :)

Keep an eye on her, stress can cause rabbits can go into statis.

From Dana M. Krempels, Ph.D.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

'A rabbit's intestine can become static for a variety of reasons, including (1) stress, (2) dehydration, (3) pain from another underlying disorder or illness (such as gas, dental problems, infections, or urinary tract disorders) (4) an intestinal blockage or, (5) insufficient dietary crude fiber. Left untreated, the slowdown or complete cessation of normal intestinal movement (peristalsis) can result in a painful death, in a relatively short period of time. If your rabbit stops eating or producing feces for 12 hours or more, you should consider the condition an EMERGENCY. GET YOUR BUNNY TO A RABBIT-SAVVY VETERINARIAN IMMEDIATELY.

An intestinal slowdown can cause ingested hair and food to lodge anywhere along the GI tract, creating a potential blockage. Also, because the cecum is not emptying quickly enough, harmful bacteria such as Clostridium species (related to the ones that cause botulism and tetanus) can proliferate, their numbers overwhelming those of the normal, beneficial bacteria and fungi in the cecum. Once this overgrowth occurs, gas emitted by the bacteria can cause extreme pain. Some Clostridium species also produce potentially deadly toxins. It is the liver's job to detoxify these poisons, at a high cost to that all-important organ. Damage to the liver can be a serious--even life-threatening--side effect of GI stasis.'

I wouldn't worry too much as it's only been a few hours. Keep an eye on her and make sure she keeps eating, especially hay and if she hasn't pooped in 12 hours take her too a vet. Hope she is ok!

thanks for the replies!

I was trying to get her back in but she wouldnt go near the shed (she normally just jumps right in her hutch when I go to it). Anyway she eventually went back in last night and I was checking every couple of hours then she went about 4 this morning!

She is back in the house now and there is a few droppings on the floor but not as much as there usually is.

thanks for that link bunny burrows, she seems to be eating and drinking alright but I am keeping an eye on her to make sure!

Back