• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baby with one eye not open????

Sue&Sooty

Wise Old Thumper
Both my babies are now leaving the nest and happily exploring their new home :D (photos in pics forum)

The little creamy one has only got one eye open, the other one is still firmly shut. It's not crusty or sore looking and it's not bothering him/her.
Has anyone got any experience of baby buns and eye probs? Obviously I will speak to my vet on Monday if it doesn't open over the weekend but just wondered if anyone else had any info on this issue

Hi ive had this lots of times it must be opened or it will get infected and make puss. Bath it with warm water and gently pull open the eye, by pulling the bottom lid down and top lid up. Check every day to see it stays open. If when you get the eye open there is a white dot in the eye then you need some tiacil drops from the vet to put in the eye. Or if theres puss in the eye. Chances are it will be fine. val

For the first few days our babies opened their eyes they all did it differently. Some had their eyes open earlier than the rest and one of the babies had one open one closed for about a day. If you haven't already tried to open the eye then give him a little time.

The buns are 18days old now and the little black ones eyes are both open properly. Will have a go in the morning at getting the other ones eye open, they are both snuggled up asleep at the mo so don't wanna wake them.

Also if I need the drops, will I have to take the baby to the vets or do they just let you have them?

how long has the one eye been open? i'd be a bit patient, bathing the eye a few times a day will help it to ease open. signs the eye is ready to open is a little weeping/wetness around the area as the tear ducts begin to lubricate the eye ready for the lids parting. if there are no signs of the eye looking as if its 'ready' i wouldnt force the issue. eyes often open idependantly and i have had rabbits/kittens/puppies who open one eye and the other remains shut for another few days without problems.

It may be best to wait, but I'd be a little bit worried. I personally would wipe it with a littel warm water without pulling the eyelids as this may sort it out.

I am learning lots from reading the threads about these babies!! Hope little cream bun's eye opens OK Sue. Jane and Buns xx

Hi Sue, don't worry to much as one of my rescue babies did this all the other 4 babies eyes were open and I was thinking allsorts because this little ones eye hadn't opened, so I thought I will bathe it with warm water but it just opened on its own (must be a male, a late developer :lol: :lol: )

Good news! When I got up this morning both of creamys eyes were open as wide as can be and both babies were having a good nose around their hutch!

Thanks for all your advice

They are very sweet and very special too!! :D

So glad there ok, they are supposed to be open at about ten days. Ive had many a baby that hasent and if there left damage can occour to the eye and in extreem cases a build up of puss to the extent that when it was opened there was masses pouring out. Needless to say there was perminant damage done. Always better to be safer than sorry. val :D

Neither of them opened their eyes till they were about 16days and the cream one was 19days before the 2nd eye was open. Their eyes are all nice and clear with no puss or crustyness(?) so hopefully they are fine

I just did my usual morning check over of the buns, it take twice as long now with 4 of them! :shock: :lol: They are all fine :D but the light must have been better today and I have just noticed that the cream baby has blue eyes :love: They are quite a darkish blue and becasue they are so small at the moment it's difficult to see but hopefully as he/she gets bigger they will be easier to see. I've not seen many buns with blue eyes, is it unusual?

Back