• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Amy's abcess

touie

Wise Old Thumper
been at the vets again tonight because it started to get pussy again! :( The vets has cleaned it out again and repacked it with ? ( cant remember what its called, but its black and eats away at the dead tissue apparently! :? ) If it doesnt look any better on Monday she's got to have another operation and this time she said they'd work into the underlying muscle to make sure it's all out! :shock: She also said that she's lucky the abcess wasn't on her genital wound or else she'd have had to be PTS :shock: :(

aawww, poor Amy :cry: hope it heals ok this time. Sooooooo lucky it wasn't on her wound down there. sending healing vibes for Amy xx

its still looking good at the moment, have to take her back to the vets on Monday to see whether she needs another operation or not! Fingers crossed!

No, there hasn't been alot of pus, if its still not healing on Monday I'll have it done, its just i know its expensive so didn't want to suggest it unless I'm sure it will help, I've spent so much money at the vets with Treacle then Amy I'm struggling a little!

it's only £30 so it's cheaper than a course of antibiotics, and the lab will tell your vet exactly which antibiotic to use - mine came back saying metronidazole, and it cleared Maa's abscess in her head (very difficult area) in a week - she's not had any pus come back, so it's money well spent.

I asked if it was worthwhile getting a culture of the pus but the vet didn't seem to think it was, she said you're so limited on antibiotics that are safe for rabbits anyway! :? ...so, Amy has gone in for another operation as the vet had a feeling that it might have gone a bit deeper! :(

Awwwww poor Amy. What a worry for you. Wish your Vet had agreed for a swab to be taken though........ :? Please let us know how Amy gets on. Jane x

well she had to have a big operation, apparently it had gone quite deep so she's had lots of tissue and some muscle removed! There's no nasty bits left at all so the vet has used internal stitches and glued the outside skin in the hope that no bacteria can get in!!! She has taken a swab but is not going to send it off to the lab just yet as she's quite hopefull that the operation will be enough. She has another check up on Friday, Fingers crossed

touie said:
well she had to have a big operation, apparently it had gone quite deep so she's had lots of tissue and some muscle removed! There's no nasty bits left at all so the vet has used internal stitches and glued the outside skin in the hope that no bacteria can get in!!! She has taken a swab but is not going to send it off to the lab just yet as she's quite hopefull that the operation will be enough. She has another check up on Friday, Fingers crossed

I popped this on page 1 you must have missed it. I won't no any more till Friday, unless it gets nasty before then! Just wondering what wouls be the best way to keep her away from bacteria while she's here? She's such a mucky bun in her cage, she uses the litter tray as a bed (got carefresh in it at the moment) and wee's all over the newspaper on the floor :shock: :?

Back