• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

to adopt or not to adopt? (Longish Post SORRY)

Tiger Lilly

Warren Scout
we currently have a boy bun and a girl bun who are happily bonded. both are neutered/speyed and living together in a dog crate.

today my o/h was at work and his work mate who has a boy house bun (Bungle- aprox 4 yrs old) asked him if we would be willing to take on his rabbit (which he loves dearly). his wife has just had a baby and they are having trouble with the rabbit keeping the baby awake at night (rooms are next to each other-rabbit chewing on bars at night etc) (says he can't move the rabbit to another room....) but anyway..

his wife has told him to put the rabbit outside or get rid (!!!!!) which he does not want to do but has to put the new baby first.

he has asked if we would like to adopt his rabbit maybe short term basis or maybe for good. we do not know what to do.... we would love to help out but do not want to upset our two.

firstly, if we introduced 'Bungle' to our two, is it possible for them all to bond? (Bungle is neutered and vacinated litter trained and easy handled).

or should we keep him in his own cage?

secondly if we introduced them then gave Bungle back, would this upset the bond which Whispy and Lilly already have????

Please help! any advice would be greatly received!!!!!! xxxxxxxxxxx

Hiya. I think introducing a male into a bonded male/female pair might be tricky. Could you adopt the bun anyway, even if he remains a singleton. Being a WANTED singleton has to be better than being surplus to requirements. If it were me I would adopt him and keep him as a singleton but enable him to see the other bunnies and provide him with lots of toys and affection. I dare say that there are some who would try to introduce him to your bonded pair. I am just not confident/experienced enough to do so. Jane and Buns xx (PS...I'd re-home the baby.. :oops: :oops: )

we had thought about keeping him in his own cage just next to Whispy and Lilly then letting them all play out together on a night. Do you think this would work? how do you think they will react to a new rabbit on the scene? will they fight or not seing as they are all neutered/spayed?

i'd rather, like you say, have him with us and loved then outside in the cold when he has been a house bun for 4 year.

He sounds so cute, he jumps up on your knee for a long cuddle and then when he needs the toilet he apparently pads your chest with his front paws and lets you pick him up and put him in his littler tray. :roll: how sweet.

Is there anyway you could 'foster' him until the baby is a little older and can sleep better? I wouldn't recomend bonding him to your existing pair if you are going to seperate them It is extremely stressful for the buns and they go into mourning after they 'lose' a member of their group.

He couldn't have a run with your pair since they would fight. Your rabbits look at the rooms they run in as their territory. A new rabbit woiuld be harrassed and hurt.

I hope everything works out!

He sounds adorable!!! :love:

If I could I'd adopt him but not sure how Jack would feel with a new boy in the house (erm...any thoughts on that......Jack is about to be neutered....could keep them separate until them.....erm.....?)!!

If I were you I would adopt him anyway....he sounds like he needs lots of love and attention from someone who really wants him!

I don't see what's so bad about putting this rabbit outside - I'm putting Tia outside in a couple of weeks, Maa went outside a couple of weeks ago, and Benny went outside last September I think - They are all next to the back door and get plenty of attention, and seem much happier out in the fresh air than they were indoors anyway - Bungle will still have the familiarity of his carer, and will be happiest if he stays there I think.

Not to mention the fact that it's a great excuse to get some peace and quiet away from the family - I love going out to look after my bunnies :D

If he has any sense he'll get a shed, fill it with bunnies and spend all his spare time sitting in there enjoying the tranquility :lol:

i'd suggest the shed idea to them too, they could let him slowly explore outside and it won't be long before he'll get used to the shed and be quite happy. that way they won't have to part with him :D . if not though then just introduce him slowly to your two. as long as you can sleep through the cage chewing :wink:

Back