• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Babies arriving! Help

hunnybun

Mama Doe
Elsa one of the bunnies in my rescue is in the middle of producing a litter!! I had the vet check her a couple of weeks ago but she felt nothing.

Anyway I have no experience with any baby buns!
I know not to touch them, I know to feed her extra but that's it!

any advice would be great.

try pm'ing Sue&Sooty - her rabbit's just produced a suprise litter, and she's read loads about it recently - Hope it goes OK :)

Firstly... don't panic!!!

I didn;t 'do' anything for Holly. I just left her to it and she did it all.

Don't touch her, just leave her nice an quiet, make sure that she has plenty of hay and water.

Also give her a nice private area if you can, I gave Holly an upturned box.

Thats all you need do for now really

Thanks for that.

I am so excited!!! my first baby buns! I just hope she doesn't have too many :shock: I will leave her till morning, then pop in more food and hay. Does she need any added gluscose to her water?

Kareen :D

I tried adding some of the probiotic powder to Holly's water but she wouldn't drink it :roll: Holly has just had plain water but she has been drinking about twice as much as normal.

I left it about a day and half before I had a look in the nest. I put a plastic sarnie bag on my hand and swished it in her litter tray to get her smell on my hand before I touched the nest. Then I checked the nest once a day to make sure babes were still tucked up nice and warm.

Not sure how much advice I can give as only 2 out of Hollys 4 babies has survived.

hunnybun said:
Does she need any added gluscose to her water?

Kareen :D

Mummy bun will take care of everything, just provide lots of hay, food, fresh water and greens for her. If she is outside ensure that the hutch is protected from the severe elements.

ARC have a few litters at the moment, one of my foster buns had babies a couple of days ago and another one should have her litter within the next few days. After about 24 hours put a plastic bag on your hand, put the hand (in the bag) in the litter tray and then whilst distractin mum check that all the babies are alive. Cover them up and let mum get on with it.

Janice

Don't know how many babies yet! I took one dead one from the nest tonight :(

there were lots of squirming warm babies in the nest :D

Here they are then

ElsasbabiesFeb2006002.jpg

There are 4 babies, all warm and healthy.

Back