• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What litter??

I have a large hutch with a open base so its on the floor,My Bertie will use the bottom corner as a toilet,its very hard to get in and clean it out a litter tray in the bottom would be a lot easire,what litter would i put in???

I use woodbased cat litter! :D

Don't use the grey clumping cat litter as if bun eats it, it will get blocked in your buns tum :(

None of my rabbits came litter trained and when I introduced the cat toilets (litter trays with hoods but no doors) they took to them very quickly.

I put news papers topped with straw in mine. I have hay at the front of the tray (near the entrance) so they can sit inside and nibble while they poo!

I have found if I have straw and newspaper together anywhere else, a bed box for example, they get confused and will toilet in that too, so what ever you decide to use in the litter tray, just use in the litter tray.

100_1106.jpg

This is Blossom in her litter tray.

Rabswood[/img]

Where did you get your cat litter tray from Rabswood?i am interested in getting one for our two to stop them digging their litter all over their dog crate but the ones i have seen seem to have a high base? was worried they wouldn't be able to get in very easy ..

Thats a nice litter box,would be too big for me as mine has gone in the bottom of the hutch,iv put a few droppings in there when i cleaned out to sorta incourage him to use it,fingers crossed :D

Benny was perfectly litter trained for nearly a year, then I put him in a hutch - No problem I thought - he used the tray in the shed/in his cage/in his dog crate....What does he do in the hutch? Gets out of 'bed' (his tray) and does it on the floor next to the tray :roll:

I use Beaticat wood based cat litter and now my girls are actually using their litter tray!!! they seem to like it on its own with no hay or anything tho

I use shavings with hay on top, works great as the shavings soak it up!

Alfie is litter trained and when i got Holly she pooed and wee'd wherever she fancied, which was everywhere!! she has now litter trained herself and they only go in the 2 litter trays in the hutch and one in the run.

I've been using a brand called bio-catolet, a cat (obviously) litter. It sounds though this is the one not to get as its a grey lumpy one.

fortunately though Bob doesn't eat it, but I think nexxt time from reading this I'll definitely get some wood based one.

DSCN0707.jpg

I either use newspaper with hay, or shavings covered in hay. Daisy has never been the best with training (she used to pee in 3 corners of her old cage), but since I've put her in her crate with a big litter box she's not peed anywhere else. My little box is a piece of rubbish from P@H, I wish I'd got one from somewhere else! She likes to drag it around!

I use bio-catolet too. I think it is OK tho as it made of paper not clay or crystals, plus the bag has a picture of a bunny on it :) Hopefully someone will say if it shouldn't be used?

do the buns not eat the wood litter? i know choco will chew anything, she has sawdust at moment in her tray

I use Smart Cat which is a recycled paper cat litter, it's really good, pretty absorbent too. I put a layer of hay on top.

Dan_K said:
I've been using a brand called bio-catolet, a cat (obviously) litter. It sounds though this is the one not to get as its a grey lumpy one.

Bio catolet is a recycled paper based one, we use it and think its excellent. It is grey and lumpy but it's the clay ones that I think were being referred to. Bio catolet is absolutely fine to use. The clay ones, when wet clump together and obviously this is bad news if a bunny eats a bit.

Larry has Megazorb in his tray & it's great- no smells, absorbant & safe. Similar to Carefresh which you can get at P@H but much, much cheaper!

A 75litre bag costs £6 and lasts months but its normally only available from horse suppliers so I get mine from a local farm.

Back