• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

neutering and friends

Deelove

Wise Old Thumper
K, I've been weighing up whether to get Molly neutered or not (he's a mini lop boy btw). He's about 7 months old now, so I assume he's fully grown and sexually mature and that. I haven't had any problems with aggression or spraying. He's very well litter trained, apart from his love of peeing on my bed if he's left alone for too long, so I wasn't sure if it would be worth it.

However he's a very cuddly bun, loves a snuggle and lounging at my feet, and he grooms me to with in an inch of my life. At the moment I'm at uni so indoors with him quite a bit or my house mate is. I was thinking when I go into 'the real world' (-in June :shock: dundundun) about getting him a friend. Problem is I'm on a tight budget, so neutering would have to be done in march when I get my loan through or I'd have to put off getting him a pal until I had a secure job and stuff. Would he cope being on his own?

I'm getting my mum saying not to get another rabbit as then i'd have two to worry about being lonely and it'd be harder to find someone to look after them if i go away. (I take Molly with me at the moment, but with two I guess it'd be harder) but my Dad says I should get him a friend. However this might be because his drinking buddy's son's rabbits just had an accidental litter and they're looking to rehome.

I'm unsure as to the best option for Molly. He seems happy now, but I do feel sad he has only me to love. But then, on the same note I don't want him to become distanced from me.

I would deffinetly reccomend neutering. HYe sounds like a great rabbit but if you let his hormones kick in he might lose some of his charm.

Back