• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eye advice needed

helenlop2

Young Bun
Hi all,

Does anyone have experience of eye problems and can offer advice please?

Our 12 week old french lop has had a sore looking eye for a couple of days. It is clear / white discharge which dries up quickly. Other eye seems fine. At first I thought it may be an allergy so changed bedding type, ensured hay is not dusty and stale etc and change his litter tray twice a day which has all helped. It's not consistently sore / wet, worse in morning and upto last night, I thought it had gone completely. He's indoors becuase of the cold weather at the moment so I'm conscious of not using any household sprays or cleaners in his vicinity as well.

I've had expereince of tear duct blockages and tooth related eye problems and it doesn't look similar at all. Consulted various books and most likely causes are conjunctivitis (maybe allergy related) scratched cornea, foreign object (can't see anything) or infection of some sort....?

He's going to the vets at 5pm today but I just wanted any available advice
from anyone more knowledgeable than me!

Thanks,

Helen (& Dougal!)

Is it just ONE EYE that is effected?? If so allergy seems less likely to be the cause. The only way to be certain the cornea has not been scratched is for your Vet to put a special fluorecent dye into the eye (NO GA NEEDED!!),turn the lights off in the consulting room and check the cornea for abrasions/ulceration with an opthalmic light. Your Bun may just have a minor infection in the duct and a course of antibiotic ointment/drops should clear it up. Meantime it helps protect the delicate skin around the eye if you gently bathe it with cooled boiled water, dry the area well and apply a thin layer of Vaseline. The Vaseline will act as a barrier to the discharge and minimise skin damage. Jane and Buns xx

Hermione had a corneal abcess, and had the fluorescent dye put in her eye. It was fascinating to see, but be warned if the vet does do this then she'll have a bright green discharge out of her eye for a few hours until the eye has flushed it all away.

I wish mine had been done on Halloween as she looked evil for a few hours :lol: :lol:

Hermione has an eye infection now, vet suspects an infection of the tear duct or a blockage, this sounds similar to your problem, with it coming and going.

Helen, to make his eyes more comfortable for the next little while, go buy some Natural Tear Drops (the dense one is better). It's natural tears, so there is no artificial stuff on it. Just deposit two drops on his eyes. It makes him feel comfy.

Celluvisc is a very good brand name. It's meant for human, since it is natural tears, you can use it on any animal.

If his eyes is not used to it at the beginning, drops some more 15 min. later.

Back