• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poopoos and Hairdressing

toffee

Mama Doe
Hello everyone. Strange title I know but I was reading a couple of posts - one about problems with matted hair and one (well, many) about runny poopoos and would like some advice myself because neither quite matches my problem.

Lola is my first ever bunny and she is 12 wk old so I'm really new to this - I have had pinnie gigs before but never bunnys. I have two queries really:

1) Poopoos :oops:

My bunny was doing poopoos :oops: that were sort of like those cereal things you get in muller corners. Very normal, spherical, solid, pick them up and put them in the ashtray kinda poos. For the past couple of days she's been doing sort of longer, plaited more people like poos. I at first though must be food. On Saturday evening she was given some banana. Sunday morning fairly squishy poos. Sunday evening tomato, Monday morning normal poos. Monday evening tomato, Tuesday morning funny people like poos (black, by the way). No veg Tues evening, funny poos Wed morning. AND on tues I started mixing Excel pellets into her Russel Junior because the vet said they were better for her.

Comments/suggestions welcome!

2)Hairdressing.

Lola does not like going upside down. even with her head lower than the rest of her she still won't just lie there. How do I clean her underneaths? - she has i bit of matted fur/bedding near her tail that she won't let me get.

Also,
at the moment I am using a comb to groom her. Is a brush better? I'm worried that a metal brush would hurt but a bristle brush might not get through the hair.

Hope I haven't bored you all to death!!! :roll:

Banana and tomato may well make your bunny loose. Cut them out or give a much smaller portion :lol: . I prefere a comb rather than a brush, its a question of keep turning her over for her to get used to it. If its very bad then cut the matt rather than try to comb it out. val :D

toffee said:
Hello everyone. Strange title I know but I was reading a couple of posts - one about problems with matted hair and one (well, many) about runny poopoos and would like some advice myself because neither quite matches my problem.

Lola is my first ever bunny and she is 12 wk old so I'm really new to this - I have had pinnie gigs before but never bunnys. I have two queries really:

1) Poopoos :oops:

My bunny was doing poopoos :oops: that were sort of like those cereal things you get in muller corners. Very normal, spherical, solid, pick them up and put them in the ashtray kinda poos. For the past couple of days she's been doing sort of longer, plaited more people like poos. I at first though must be food. On Saturday evening she was given some banana. Sunday morning fairly squishy poos. Sunday evening tomato, Monday morning normal poos. Monday evening tomato, Tuesday morning funny people like poos (black, by the way). No veg Tues evening, funny poos Wed morning. AND on tues I started mixing Excel pellets into her Russel Junior because the vet said they were better for her.

Be very careful changing a bunny's diet!!! It should be done very gradual, over a couple of weeks or so!!! Introduce one veg at a time! Banana is very sugary and shouldn't be given very often... tomatoe is very watery... do one thing at a time!!!! If you look in the care section, there is a list of safe things you bun can eat.. try starting with things like spring greens.. brocolli.. tiny bits of carrot (careful though cause carrot is high in sugar too)

If you are changing the pellets, mix some in (only a little) with the food bun is on now and increase it gradually!!! Once that is ok.. start trying other things... small peices! Then you will be able to see what is upsetting your bun.

Have you had bun long? Stress can also cause upset tums, so best to let them settle into their new environment before chaging things!

What kind of bun do you have? I have a lionhead and a lop... I find combs better for my lionhead and slicker brush better for my lop who has short hair!

Hope this helps a little! :D

She's a mini lop. Her hair's about an inch long and incredibly fine because it's still baby fluff!

Tried her on carrot first and that was ok. Then cabbage leaves which were ok. She's had celery loads of times and loves it.

Her poos are more or less normal now. I think it may have been a case of too much of a good thing!! Not too worried it was my boyfriend that had a flap because he does most of the housework (she's not litter trained yet)

By the way, not knowing much about bunnies before - how wonderful are they!! I love how she lies in front of the fire or licks my face - it's so cute!!!

Back