• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is this possible?

dogmaddebbie

Young Bun
For the past 18 months or so both my female buns have had eyes problems (blocked tear ducts) and both have needed them flushing out.

One had recovered but the other has continued to get gungy, the vet said it was a waste of time to keep flushing and the best thing to do was just bathe it everyday. I tried this and it didn't seem to work. I then left it for about 6 months some weeks were better than others. I just bathed it when it got really bad.

However since I have got my third bun (a male who is kept in a run next to them) her eye has really improved and now shows no sign of discharge or soreness. I was wondering if her defence system may have improved with all these hormones flying around as none of the buns have been done.

What do you think?

hopefully that's all he's doing through the wire - 2 litters born to forum peeps this month, whose buns did the deed through cage wire :shock:

are your buns lionheads or nethies?
apparently blocked tear ducts are common with both breeds due to a short/squashed face.
we had a similar problem with a lionhead who had a eye infection, followed by blocked sinuses (he had to have daily antibiotic injections for a month.) the vet recomended changing his diet (no hay...only dried grass as it contains less dust), and his bedding from sawdust to newspaper with catlitter in the litter tray.
eventualy it cleared it.
i can only surgest perseverance.

They are all lops (which I know are prone to eyes problems aswell).They cannot touch each other as there is a double mesh wall between them. I am also the only one to have contact with my buns (no children etc) and I know that they will not get together (unless they have some wire cutters!)

So they can see each other but not touch at the moment. Once the new boy is old enough he will be castrated and I hope to bond them all.

Blueberry always had runny eyes, she had eye drops a few times but once Brian came along he kept them clean for her.

Fern had the same eye issues and hers used to get worse with stress, perhaps your bun is happier now that there is a friend nearby?

Back