• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pet Grass?

St3phanie

New Kit
Today i went to my local pet store and they had live grass there. They were feeding their bunnies the grass, so i asked the manager if grass was indeed good for young rabbits. She told me it was very good for them and helped their digestive system. I was just wondering if anyone else has fed their bunny this grass, or grass in general :?: :?

I grow grass in pots for my rabbits :D I cannot seem to grow it quick enough though,they love it.

i grow pet grass but it doesnt last long enough and is quite expensive.

does anyone have any top tips on this?

I may be about to make myself look silly here, but is there a problem with feeding them grass from the garden? I read somewhere that lawn clippings should not be fed to bunnies but it never said why.

They can eat the grass in the garden, and you can feed them grass that you pull up, but when grass is cut/clippes/mowed it releases something that isn't good for bunnies tummies. I don't remeber too much else about it sorry!! :oops:

You can buy a bag of grass seed for a couple of pounds in garden centres. I filled two seed trays with compost/soil, sprinkled with a thin layer of grass seed, covered lightly with soil/compost and grew it on a window sill, keeping them damp but not soggy. The grass took about three weeks to grow nice and long. I gave one to my buns until they'd nibbled it down and saved the other. The nibbled tray is now growing back on the window sill. Much cheaper than buying special pet grass - even if your buns dig in the tray and you have to keep planting fresh seeds.

Hope this helps :D!

Anna x

"I Remember Miffy"'s idea is a good one - I was planning to do this when I move to the house with no real garden.

BTW - I remember Miffy too, but only a little :)

Hello

We put our 4 little buns out in the run as often as possible for their grass, we have built in lawn mowers - i also let some really long grass grow at the end of the garden (a few feet tall) as this length of grass is like giving them gold - they go mad!!! Also longer length grass is tougher so good for their teeth.

I think i may consider walking them up and down the garden so i get lines like with the mower only kidding!!! :lol:

KerinTravis said:
you can feed them grass that you pull up, but when grass is cut/clippes/mowed it releases something that isn't good for bunnies tummies
When grass is mown, it gets all mangled up by the mower (you know how soggy mowings feel) and starts to ferment REALLY quickly, so can release gas in the bunnies tummy and can set off all sorts of digestive problems. Grass that is clipped/cut is ok as long as you don't give them piles and piles of it in one go.

My buns are free range in the garden, let out at 7 am & back in at dusk. They are 9 & 5 & grass is their main staple food, they get a sprinkle of supa excel when they go home with hay ad lib & veges.
Both are perfect weight & very healthy :) neither have ever had teeth probs etc.
After all, thats what wild rabbits eat as their main anyway!

So yes, grass is fab for them. As others have said lawn mowings are very bad as they ferment from the heat of the mower which will cause serious gut problems if fed. I know a couple of people that buy a roll of turf each week for theirs as they have courtyard gardens & just renew it in the runs each week, only £2 a roll!

nreal_hill said:
Hello

We put our 4 little buns out in the run as often as possible for their grass, we have built in lawn mowers - i also let some really long grass grow at the end of the garden (a few feet tall) as this length of grass is like giving them gold - they go mad!!! Also longer length grass is tougher so good for their teeth.

I think i may consider walking them up and down the garden so i get lines like with the mower only kidding!!! :lol:

My neighbour said to me the other day she was jealous of me & my other neighbours lawns, as we never need to mow coz our rabbits do it for us! :lol:

Back