• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Reddish Discharge?!?! Help!

sharongoing

Young Bun
Though normally she's very good about using her litter tray, lately Chomper's been leaving me little poos all over her bedroom. I don't mind, of course; it's all part of bunny motherhood, right?

But tonight, I found something that has me a tad worried. Beneath one little poo collection was a reddish wet spot on the carpet, slightly smaller than the size of a quarter. It didn't smell quite like urine, but it didn't smell of blood either, and it didn't look like blood aside from the reddish color.

Chomper's been acting perfectly normal lately. Well, as "normal" as a teenage bunny can be. She's been eating, drinking, urinating, and defecating normally, and she's been as active and playful as ever.

Chomper is about four months old and is an unspayed female. She'll be getting spayed when she hits six months old. Do rabbits menstruate? Could this be some time of urinary tract issue?

I'll absolutely take her to the vet if/when necessary, but I don't want to put her through the stress of a visit to the vet if it's nothing. Has anyone ever had something similar happen? Advice? Suggestions?

Rabbit urine varies frompale yellow to orange to red so it may be perfectly normal. Has she had any veg recently? That seem to effect it.

Tam

mine do red wee occasionally, even though their diet's not changed - or maybe they sneaked in a leaf of dandelion from somewhere? :?

Red is fine. My last rabbit, if he went outside and ate some exotic weed, his next set of urine will be red.

Somehow your rabbit diet has changed. Human is like that too. If you don't take viatmin pills, and all of a sudden start using vitamin, the urine color changes to goldish yellow. Same thing when a human suddenly eat crabs for dinner.

I agree, red urine is normal and I have experienced the same thing as you are saying. I have found that greens and certain weeds like dandilion affect our wee colour with our bunnies, could she have had something different in her diet?

With mine, it is red for a couple of days then clears up. All other behaviour remains the same. I queried it once with a vet who siad that red wee had sometimes been associated with stress but is more commonly diagonsed as eating greens / change in diet.

Hope it helps.

Helenx

Ah, that explains it! Thanks to everyone!

I've been giving Chomper a new leafy green or vegetable each week to slowly build the variety in her diet. The night that I saw the reddish urine, I had given her a small handful of a spring salad mix, and it had those reddish lettuce leaves and some dandelion in it. That's probably the cause.

Again, thanks everyone!

Back