• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Molly won't eat Burgess food

LeeG

Banned
Have had Molly since Thursday and she is proving to be somewhat of a fussy eater. Unfortunately we didn't get any food from the guy we got her from and he is terminally ill so I don't want to go back and pester him to find out what the heck he fed her on before.

She will eat greens - she loves grass and broccoli and bits and bobs from our herb garden and is eating hay (and straw :? ) so it's not like she's going hungry - but she won't touch Excel pellets and has only eaten a few pieces of Burgess flake food in the past 3 days (which we bought when we realised she wouldn't eat the pellets).

Any ideas what I can do to get her on to the Excel pellets? Should I try other makes of flake foods and then mix pellets in slowly?

BTW - I've been keeping an eye on her poops and they are plentiful and look normal so I'm not too worried yet, just want to make sure she is getting all the nutrition she needs. :(

Also she is going in to the vets on Friday and will have a health check so I will know if her teeth are OK. When she eats hay and greens she seems to be eating normally and is happy gnawing away at the log in her hutch.

Is she just a fussy little madam or am I doing something wrong? :(

Some rabbits are fussy. Mine LOVE Burgess, and I'm trying to get them to show the same sort of enthusiasm for Science Selective, which doesn't seem to impress them.

If I remember correctly Daisy wouldn't eat pellets for the first few days I had her. Maybe it's worth persevering a bit longer?

Fussy little Molly! I'd keep trying for a while, if she is insistent, I'd suggest trying to get hold of a bag of supreme science selective (made by the same people as Russell rabbit so should be able to buy it anywhere that sells that), many rabbits seem to prefer the taste of that, so perhaps yours is one of those?

Good luck with your new bunny!

I'd suggest trying to get hold of a bag of supreme science selective (made by the same people as Russell rabbit so should be able to buy it anywhere that sells that), many rabbits seem to prefer the taste of that

I wish my two did! :lol:

Well at least I said many, not all :lol: When I was getting Heather to bond with Harry, Harry was on burgess and Heather on SS, so I used the opportunity to try and swap Harry onto SS. I was very good about mixing the two together etc, and Harry just picked the SS out straight away and never touched the Burgess since!

Thanks all - She is now eating all of her Burgess flake food that I give her each morning (all but the orange bits :roll: anyway). I think I'll keep her on this for a while and then try to switch her over to pellets slowly.

I fed her 2 brussel sprouts tonight and she turned into a poop factory within about 10 minutes. (The rolly kind not the runny kind - thank goodness :lol: .)

Back