• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

TANGLES!!!

sparklefairy

Wise Old Thumper
Oh my word! I'm feeling really bad right now. I thought I was being a really good bunny mum grooming my bunnies every day but some how Storm, my Frenchie has developed a mass of tangles under his chin! :cry: he won't let me touch it or groom him there and is a very stroppy bun!. What can I do? it looks like a very small dewlap, but when I touched it and felt it, it was all matted up :cry: I don't know how on earth it could get like this!. He has quite fluffy fur, not long but longer than Gypsy's fur ( apart from her lion's mane - which never gets matted!)

aawwww dont worry.. i sometimes find matts in my Simba's coat no matter how often i comb him he still seems to make them for me :lol: I expect Storm has been chinning alot.. possibly got it wet chinning his water bottle and so his fur has tangled as he has done it. Mine arent keen having their chins combed but i do it while laying them down on their backs. Possibly easier if you have a 2nd pair of hands if storm doesnt like it.. or maybe try wrapping him in a towel/blanket? It could just be a lump of skin you can feel or some hay in his fur.. might not be as bad as you think, but only way you gonna find out really is to have a good look while he's upside down :wink:

I know humans arn't the same as bunnys but amy is forever getting a big matted knot at the nape of her neck, she has very long hair, down to her waist. I just rub a small amount of olive oil to the bottom bit of the knot and work my way up adding more oil as I need it. Makes it easier to comb thro.

I don't know if olive oil used like this would be ok for bunnys but it is pure and natural ????

You need one person to hold the bun firmly in a baby cradling position...might be easier to wrap a towel around. Cut off the knot carefully with round ended scissors is easier than detangling a jumpy bun. Good luck :D

!

Thanks guys! :D while he was laying down I tried to de-tangle him. It seems most of it is loose fur and just brushed out. Some of it was tangled and Storm was not happy about me trying to de-tangle him!. He even snatched the brush out of my hand and threw it! :shock: There are still some lumpy bits, but I will try again later.
I had to do this on the floor as he hates being picked up! no one will help me as everyone is freaked out by his size, he's not even full grown yet! He goes mad if you try and pick him up, he never used to be this bad, I think it's just his stroppy teenage stage. There's no way I could cradle him like a baby :cry:
I'm amazed at how different his fur is to any other bun I've had. It's really thick and fluffy, but easy to tangle :roll:

Maisie, who is a french lop, has had problems under her chin recently. She
was sopping wet all on her chest and it was knotted. Anyway, I took her to the vet and they shaved her chin and chest. She was quite sore underneath it all and they gave me some cream to apply daily and the soreness has cleared up. I have not handled her and I thought she would not allow me to put the cream on. But we got a carrot and held it up. She stood on her back legs, which she does often like a dog, and ate the carrot and we could apply the cream under her chin and brush her. Not sure what caused the wet as it wasn't her teeth. I think she got knotted and her water bowl was too large for her dew lap, which made it all wet. Check your grooming brush as one I had was too harsh for rabbits and it might be hurting yours. I would definitely use a carrot as you groom to start with.

Frenchies go nuts for food! :D what kind of brush do you use? I managed to brush some of it out, but stopped when he had enough. It doesn't look sore underneath. he had a few little mats under his " arm pits," too :?

I had two brushes, both sold with rabbits on the package. Both have tiny
steel ends, but one is really hard and rigid and really pulls her fur out so I have discarded that one. I am using one that is much softer. Yes they do love food and I think Maisie is overweight. She looks normal when she is upright but the moment she lays out she is enormous. I have cut back the pellets to just a tiny amount per day

Sparklefairy,

One of my frenchies has the same problem with matts of fur on her feet and back legs. Her fur is very long and although she can and does groom herslf alot and gets lots of brushing action from me, she WILL NOT let me touch her back feet and at the moment, has trails of fur on one of them. It gets long enough for me to cut off with minimum of fuss and when she is spayed next month, I will ask for a "haristyle" too around her scruffy bits.
FYI - we thought she was overweight as she looks a bit like a hovercraft when lying down ( :lol: ) but was checked up by vet last week and weighted in at a healthy trim 9.5 kg!!! Can feel her rib cage and spine and she is very active.

As others say, bribery with food works well!

Helen x

Helen, do you have a picture of your "hovercraft". Maisie is off for her myxi booster next week, so I will get her weighed. I think you are right, it is obviously the pose that makes them look enormous. But, as the weather is cold and they are not getting out as much from my kitchen, I have reduced the pellets a bit and this encourages them to eat more hay.
I have never been able to post pics of mine on here, but I will try.

thanks for the tips, I have a range of brushes ans combs, some where in the house. I think I've been using the wrong one too, it sounds like the one you descibed raine.
9.5kg!! :shock: wow! my liitle guy is still growing, he's around 6 months old. I think he's still under 4kg :? not sure if this is right. He looks like he's got a big tummy when he's stretched out on the floor, with his back legs stretched out behind him and his front paws stretched in front.
I would love to see pics of you " hovercraft too," helenlop2 :D

Back