• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The story of Harvey n me!

Liz

Warren Scout
I always wanted a dwarf lop ear rabbit but never used to have time for one. When I cut back my work time, I was out with my nephew and popped in to an old pet shop to find him a kitten- and there he was! The cutest, softest most lovely dwarf lop I had ever seen! I could not resist! So there I made my nephew walk home as I loaded up the car with hutch, hay,sawdust etc etc etc! and of course- that cutey lil wabbit! Set him up at home and decided he had to be Harvey! More 6 inches than 6ft! Bedtime reading became how to look after your rabbit books. It did not take long for me to realise I was quite allergic to him- oh dear- so out his hutch went into the garden but I brought him in a few hours a day to play, as well as letting him run around the garden when I was there. He looked so confident there I began to leave him out all the time, with access to his hutch. He came each morning when I called him for breakfast- until 1 day there was no sign of him- I was besides myself! Posters went up, flyers through doors etc- On the following day- my birthday- he was found in my neighbours garden! What a relief! So that was the end of his free roaming days! I had thought a dwarf lop meant he stayed small - indeed was told this by the pet store! - I was later to learn when he grew to the size of a small cat- this was not the case! The hutch I had was too small- I felt so guilty putting him in it at night- I tried for so long to get him a bigger hutch I could afford and liked to no avail so I got a joiner to make me one. Its nick named the Harvey Hilton! Next problem was his adolescence! (I only just learned this from this site) My cutey timid funny lil bun became a moody, unsocialable, messy monster- still cute though! He no longer used his litter tray, hates to be held although loves to sit at your feet and be near you and chews telephone wires, eats carpets, digs huge holes (hence the escape- through a 3ft deep one!) Boy am I glad I found this site- I have learned so much and now it all makes sence. Even this "binkinying" I thought was his break dancing! I still have a lot to learn and am changing how I care for him a lil each day. I now am more aware of his diet and have begun to change this- lots more hay- fresh at least daily- less veg n treats- no more shopping at (dare I say it) Pets at Home! Hay is being checked, bum being checked- ( although Harv sure aint liking this! ) Have not managed to sex him yet myself- still thinking he is a boy? He is living in his Harvey Hilton with more appropriate toys and plaayed with/watched/attended to at least a couple of hours a day in the garden or upstairs where there are no wires etc. He still hates to be held but is loving this forehead tickiling. I now know where there is a local vet and when off in the next two weeks plan to go get him sexed, vacinated, neutered and given a once over- teeth and claws (they are extra sharp n long right now). Folloowing that- I plan to find him a rehome playmate- so so many cute buns on here! I am so glad and thankful for finding this site- I just wanted to tell anyone interested about me and my rabbit whom I love so dearly- but can now take so much better care of- THANKYOU! THANKYOU! THANKYOU!
harvey16.jpg
Harvey as a lil un!
000_0295.jpg
The Harvey Hilton!
000_0299.jpg
Harvey last night
000_0285.jpg
Harv still with his one uppy- he only has this sometimes now though
000_0304.jpg
Having a good chin scratch on the reeds!
000_0307.jpg
oooh n a nice stretch too!
000_0310.jpg
Ahhhh thats ma boy! ( or girl? tee hee )

Liz from Stirling

[/img]

thanks

thanks folks- a long post/story I know but just wanted you to know that although I wasn't as prepared as I should have been- I have tried to make amends- I so adore my bun! He's a complete joy.

aaawww what a lovely story :D He's an adorable little fella.. if he is indeed a fella :lol: :lol: :lol: His home looks great.. could you please change the catches to padlocks rather than those flip around ones tho.. as altho you may not see foxes they can still be in the area and they can open thos catches, equally would be alot harder for Harvey to escape himself if the doors are locked shut :wink: Is it a cupboard underneath?? Bet everyone is wishing they lived nearby so they could get one made :wink: :D Welcome to the forum.. glad its helped you already.. i love it here!! :D :D

What a lovely post!!!! And an adorable bun xxx

I too have learnt stacks from this forum and won't make the same mistakes again.

Hutch

Never thought of foxes as have never seen one here- but sure I can do that- thanks for the advice- will do at weekend. Because my garden is so enclosed- 6ft double fence- even the cats cant seem to get in- so never thought of foxes. Yes its a cupboard at the bottom- can be changed into another floor as same as top two but thought that was overkill! Use it to store all Harvey's stuff except his hay as this is 2 big- so its in the shed.
I have foolishly bought things for Harvey which are no good- so they are in there too- a corner litter tray he has grown way to big for- and a plactic igloo thing he cant fit into etc- I honestly have learned so much and still have much more too! Thanks Again!

Oh my goodness!! What a handsome little guy! He's a beautiful colour! :D:D:D No wonder you're so proud! :D:D:D

His hutch is a palace! What a lucky bunny to have that home, and all that garden to exercise! You are superb owner! He's a lucky bun :D

Hehehe yeah havent we all!! I have lots of things that mine ignore now or dont use. I remember having a dwarf rabbit when i was younger and he was alot bigger than i thought he would be. Calling them a dwarf makes it sound like they will end up small but actually they are sort of mid-sized rabbits. The mini lop and netherland dwarf are the smaller ones. :wink:

aww what a cutie - and a fantastic pad!

glad you are finding lots of useful tips around here. its great to keep learning ^_^

He is gorgeous!!! love his hutch too....

Yep you need to put bolts on and fox's can unfortunately jump over 6 foot fence's so just be vigilent :wink:

he will love having a girlfriend/or boyfriend!!

Back