• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

neutering???

Michelle

Warren Scout
my male rabbit is about 11 months old, he has recently started circling my feet and making a noise. sometimes he just wont leave my legs alone - running round them and standing on 2 feet scratching at my legs.

is this a sign to get him neutered?? does he really neeed to be neutered because he is the only rabbit we have??

also, what is the oldest a bunny can be for him to be neutered??

Hiya! It's definitely a sign that he is a randy bunny! He doesn't *need* to be neutered as such, but there are benefits - such as, it could make him more relaxed, as he won't be feeling so sexually charged all the time, it will reduce the types of behaviour you describe and also any loss of litter training (sometimes they will deliberately wee on things - or people!) Finally, it would mean that if in the future you decided to get him a friend, it wouldn't be a problem to do so at any point (they need 6 weeks after neutering for his sperm count to reduce enough to not make a female pregnant).

11 months isn't old to neuter, I had one done in October aged 2. There isn't really an 'oldest' to neuter, a rescue I help at routinely neuters up to at least 4. After that I guess it depends on the individual and various other factors. There is no reason why they can't be neutered older, only that the anaesthetic risk is greater with age.

Just to say ive had three year olds done. With the males its such an easy quick op that theirs less stress involved than with the girls. val

Back