• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tilly's other eye is now runny

bunny-mad

Mama Doe
Hi, Tilly's left eye is permanently runny due to an overgrown tooth root which has grown up into her tear duct. She has had this problem for some time and seems to live with it ok. I give her Tiacil drops about 3 times a week and this seems to keep it under control.

Unfortuantely, I noticed this morning that her other eye has become runny too and am worried that it might be the same thing causing problems on the other side.

She has had her molars filed a number of times recently but I realise this is no guarantee that her roots will grow less quickly. Her tear duct does not look red and there was no milky discharge as there permanently is on the other side. Obviously I will ask the vet about this when I next take her in, but does anyone know if there could be anything else cauing her runny eye or do you think it is likely to be another overgrown tooth root causing the problem? I know that this problem is predominant in dwarf lops because of their small heads.

b-m

Hiya. It sounds like your Bun probably has a unilateral tooth root problem. A dental X-ray would give you an idea as to how advanced the dental probs are. Then your Vet would know how best to manage things. Jane and Buns xx

Tilly's other eye has stopped running now. I told the vet and he said don't worry if it's just clear watering (as oposed to milky discharge). I think she is ok for now, phew! b-m

Back