• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ideal Nutrient Analysis?

Suggested food analysis for an ADULT pet rabbit:
Crude Fibre>18%
Indigestible Fibre>12.5%
Crude Protein 12-16%
Fat 1-4%
Calcium 0.6-1.0%
Phosphorous 0.4-0.8%
Vitamin A 10,OOO-18,OOO IU/kg
Vitamin D 800-12,00 IU/kg
Trace elements: Magnesium 0.3%, Zinc 0.5%, Potassium 0.6-0.7%.

Source: Textbook of Rabbit Medicine by Frances Harcourt-Brown.

It is especially important to ensure that growing rabbits receive sufficient calcium. Cereal Mixes are NOT recommended as Bunnies tend to select the tasty bits and avoid the high calcium pellet bits!! Science Selective Pellets or Excel Pellets might be a better choice.

Jane and Buns xx

Hawarden said:
our bunnies are being picky with A&P

Mine were too to start with, but it was either that or nothing (well, or hay anyway) :shock: :D They now almost snatch it out of my hand when they get it. I think it's worth persevering, as all of my bunnies are really benefiting from the A&P. You can see it in their coats, and their poops :oops:

I use Royale as the rabbits loe it, but for most of them they only get a pinch as a treat. Other than that they pretty much get pellets and hay.

I do have two rabbits who are fed entirely on Royale though, as they both just went off their pellets one day and refused to eat them ever again and they lose weight if I try giving them anything else :?

Yep, what quantities you feed influence the overall nutritional analysis. So if you feed a table spoon of something with only 15% fibre and the rest of the diet is hay then should still be okay... though it can upset sensitive tummed buns. Excel Lite, Oxbox, Supreme Science or Allen & Page are basically the best as far as protein/fibre content goes. You can get away with stuff like Rabbit Royal is they're having small quantities and eat plenty of hay.

Tam

I think Rabbit Royale has Molases in it so would be quite likely to cause GI probs unless the Bun only had a TINY portion and ate mostly hay as their main diet. Rabbit Royale does look nice though :oops: ....all those dandelions in it!! The 'Chocolate Eclair' equivalent to a bun I guess!! :roll: :roll: Jane and Buns xx

Our rabbits had rabbit royale in their rescue and as we didn't want to mess with their diets we've stuck to it! Our rabbits adore it and eat every crumb, apparently you do need to watch it though as it is a mix and some rabbits will selectively feed.

I've just had to throw away half of a huge bag of the stuff (as its cheaper for us to buy in bulk and chuck what we dont use) so if you'd like me to send you a sample I will, just PM your address :D

That might be why they loooooove it so much!!!! Neither of mine have a weight problem - only Albert is too skinny, will molases harm their health in any other way apart from fat???

melaniejb said:
That might be why they loooooove it so much!!!! Neither of mine have a weight problem - only Albert is too skinny, will molases harm their health in any other way apart from fat???
Bunnies guts dont cope well with too much sugar. They can get a mucky bum and reduced GI motility. Rabbit Royale is often used by people who breed rabbits for their meat cos it fattens them up quickly..... :cry: :cry: I find whole Porrige Oats works well for putting weight on any skinny Buns I have. Jack LOVES the Jordans ORGANIC :roll: :roll: whole oats. I give them to all my old buns as the oldies often find it difficult to keep weight on. Jane and Buns xx

Mine are on burgess thats a good one to use.Allen and page i have a whole 20kg sack they dont like it so if youd like a sample of that one too pm me :D

twilightpagan said:
Mine are on burgess thats a good one to use.Allen and page i have a whole 20kg sack they dont like it so if youd like a sample of that one too pm me :D

How long have you tried them on it? I reduced how much pellets they had each day while i slowly increased the amount of A&P pellets. Also putting it in their treat ball seems to have made them love it even more!! Once they realise there is nothing else most rabbits will eat what they are given :wink:

Ive never tried A&P mine eat Science selective and its gone practically before its touched the bowl and hey have just discovered the 10kg bag in the kitchen and they are trying to get into it lol

twilightpagan said:
Iv been trying for just over a week but no go,iv mixed it and they pick out the other stuff,they aint silly :lol: :roll: :wink:
It took me about a month to swap over completely. It worked in the end. :D

Back