• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Scout my Black Lop has runny eyes!

The last time one of my buns had runny eyes I took him to the vets immediately. I came out with some eye drops which were apparently meant for humans! My vet said they were unlicenced for buns, cats and dogs, however, prescribed them. I used them and they cleared my buns eyes up. The bill came to £40.00, for which I could probably have gone to the local chemist and got the same thing over the counter.

Now, a year later, Scout has just developed runny eyes. I've not changed his bedding or anything, so I've been to my local chemist and got him some Brolene Eye Drops (for treatment of minor eye infections). My Chemist wasn't too sure as he said they were only licenced for humans. What do you think about me using them on Scout? Please don't think that I am being stingy not wanting to pay vet fees, if any of them need the vet, I take them straight away.

Carol

Hi Gem,

To be honest, I know that if I ask the vet, they will just say, Oooh you must bring him in immediately. However, I know I'll just end up leaving with either the unlicenced drops again, or Baytril tucked under my arm and a large bill! My vets are an independent practice, with a great, modern surgery and huge modern animal hospital and all the latest hi-tech equipment, but sadly I think all the pet owners pay for these with the expensive vet bills and at the end of the day the answer to most of their bunny problems is Baytril!

In an ideal world, however, asking the vet would be the best option.

Regards

Carol

I wouldn't use them as you do not actually know WHY Scout has runny eyes. He may well need a dental, runny eyes being a symptom of a bun with a dental problem. He may have an infection which needs a prescription only antibiotic ointment/drops. He may have the start of a Pasteurellosis ( I seem to recall you saying you have some Buns with symptomatic Pasteurella?) What would you do if Scout were to be allergic to any of the ingredients in the Brolene. Maybe I am just over-cautious but I would not put anything in my Bunnies eyes that has not been prescribed by a Vet. Jane and Buns xx

Thanks Jane,

I'll make an appointment with the vet (tonight hopefully) and take Scout along.

I think I'm going to take him to the vet I used for Billy instead of my usual vet, they certainly seemed to help him.

I'll let you know how he goes on.

Carol xx

Back