• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice on Holly's babies please

Sue&Sooty

Wise Old Thumper
Ok so the babies were born on the 6th Feb so they are now 15days old by my count.

Now I have been having a read up about kits and all the stuff I've seen says that they open their eyes at about 10days and will start weaning and venturing out of the nest by about 11-14days.

My two haven't open their eyes properly yet and, although they move around in the nest, they haven't ventured out yet.

Could there be anything wrong with them do you think? I'm just a bit concerned that they are not 'doing' anything yet :?

There is probably nothing wrong at all with your babies, like human babies they all develop at different rates, some sooner some later. Before long you should have 2 wide eyed bunnies who are wandering about. Enjoy them whilst they are so young :D

Janice

I think you would only need to worry if they DID venture out of the nest so soon :? I am sure I read some-where that kits who leave the nest before 3 weeks of age often do so as they are not getting enough milk from their Mum. Seems like Holly is looking after them well :D . She might have to push them out eventually as they are probably just too comfy :roll: :lol: :lol: Jane and Buns xx

Thanks Guys :) I need all the help and advice that I can get :?

It's worse than when I had my kids :shock: at least I knew what to do with them :?

Sue&Sooty said:

It's worse than when I had my kids :shock: at least I knew what to do with them :?
You mean kiddies dont come with a 'Handbook' then :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: Jane and Buns xx

You mean kiddies dont come with a 'Handbook' then Jane and Buns xx

I've worked with kids and babies since leaving school, which helped! :lol: Maybe thats why I'm no good with the baby buns cos I feel like I should be doing something with them!! :lol:

JCO said:
Sue&Sooty said:

You mean kiddies dont come with a 'Handbook' then :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: Jane and Buns xx

Kiddies come with a health visitor, having baby rabbits doesn't normally result in the animal inspector visiting ... unless you have done soething seriously wrong :lol:

jrn1310 said:
Kiddies come with a health visitor
When I worked in a GPs surgery I was always vaguely amused that NONE of the Health Visitors(Women in their 30s-40s) had kids of their own .... :? :? :? :? Think I might prefer advice for some-one with 'first hand experience'. Jane and Buns xx

yeah my health visitor had no kids either :lol:

Sue it's time you got out the modelling clay, glue, paper and paints, and started stimulating those baby bunnies! Personally I would let them sleep and go and have a cup of coffee while I had the chance :D

elve said:
yeah my health visitor had no kids either :lol:

Sue it's time you got out the modelling clay, glue, paper and paints, and started stimulating those baby bunnies! Personally I would let them sleep and go and have a cup of coffee while I had the chance :D

I think I only ever saw my HV twice, once when Josh was born and once when Ollie was born!! :lol:

As for the buns, I think your right, I'm off to make myself another coffee instead!! :lol: I think it's one of those things that when animals (and kids) are babies we want them to start doing stuff but then when they do we spend all our time trying to stop them doing it!! :lol: :lol:

JCO said:
jrn1310 said:
Kiddies come with a health visitor
When I worked in a GPs surgery I was always vaguely amused that NONE of the Health Visitors(Women in their 30s-40s) had kids of their own .... :? :? :? :? Think I might prefer advice for some-one with 'first hand experience'. Jane and Buns xx

Ha ha yes - mine was a spinster - she was quite nice but really didnt have her finger on the pulse - mind you, neither have I these days :lol:

Im sure the babies will be fine Sue - watch out when they can see :lol:

Back