• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jack's not well - paint fumes?

jay

Mama Doe
I've been painting the bedroom today and Jack has been downstairs as usual in the kitchen. The windows have been open but it's still smelly.

Now Jack is sitting in a corner in the kitchen all hunched up in a corner. He's not interested in food and that is not like him. Could it be the paint fumes? My finace is sat in the kitchen with him, we've open the window really wide to get some fresh air in there. Don't know what else to do. I'm really worried and mad at myself for not taking more precautions with the paint fumes.

For getting rid of paint fumes cut up onions and place on plates in the room you've been painting. Works really well, we used this method with a day old baby in the house with no problems. :shock:

Just been to look for some but we had the last one for tea this evening. :( Just sat with Jack and he ran over to his dog cage and is now sat in his bed just outside the door - he was cleaning himself so he is moving about ok - although he laid down so I put his fleece over him to make him feel safe (he likes to hide under blankets when he is scared or poorly) and just his little nose is sticking out. Still no interest in his food. :( I feel so bad - its my fault he's ill. I feel all anxious and panicky ! :( :(

It could be a coincidence. If he isnt eating thats not a good sign try and encourage him with his favourite treats eg apple, banana, grape, herbs, grass etc. Is he pooping? As Val says.. if he is still the same in the morning you will need to get him to a vets. If you have any syringes and pellet food you could try mushing some up in warm water and syringing a little slowly into his mouth if he will take it to keep his tummy moving

Any news on Jack this morning? REALLY hope he is better but if not a Vet trip is essential methinks. Please keep us posted. Jane and Buns xx

he's maybe just frightened by the smell - the rabbits I've kept in the kitchen have always gone like this whenever I cook as they hate the smell (no it's not my cooking, honest!)

Hope he's OK now :)

elve said:
he's maybe just frightened by the smell - the rabbits I've kept in the kitchen have always gone like this whenever I cook as they hate the smell (no it's not my cooking, honest!)

Hope he's OK now :)

I was thinking this - we have to move Evo out of the kitchen on a Sunday when o/h cooks his fry up. Might have been enough just to stop bun eating. I hope he's feeling better this am.

Yipee!!! He is fine this morning - went dowstairs and he did his usual mad dash round the dining room and then came up to me and proceeded to try and hump my leg....bless him!! All his food is gone and he had a piece of hay in his mouth that he was munching. So happy now!!! :D

Hope he's OK now Smile

I think that must have been it. And yes it was gloss paint.

my old bun,Bilbo, used to run away from a bannana! :lol: until he saw Gypsy eat one and decided it might be nice ( 8 years later! :? )

Thanks for the all the advice - it's scary how they can be ok one minute and look like they're at death's door the next. :( Still decorating today but just wallpapering so no worries about fumes. Keep going to check on Jack - who was fast asleep under the table until he heard the rattle of the treat tin!!

jay said:
Yipee!!! He is fine this morning - went dowstairs and he did his usual mad dash round the dining room and then came up to me and proceeded to try and hump my leg....bless him!! All his food is gone and he had a piece of hay in his mouth that he was munching. So happy now!!! :D

Hope he's OK now Smile

I think that must have been it. And yes it was gloss paint.

Oh, thank god he's okay! :D

Back