• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

ideas for bedding for my lionhead

littlejag

New Kit
hi,i have just bought a lionhead rabbit but i am having alot of trouble with the right bedding,i have tryed sawdust but it just get caught up in his fur so i tryed newspaper down with hay on the top but its just the same

anybody got any alternatives

You could use Vetbed. It's a fabric bedding actually designed for puppies and older, incontinent dogs, and is used by vets in their cages.
It's designed so that if it gets wet, the urine drains through, so the dog isn't walking or laying in its own wee. You can put something like newspaper underneath to absorb the wee that does drain through.
Vetbed is also machine washable so once it gets too wet or smelly, you can wash it to kill any germs and get rid of the smell.
You could also use a littertray if your bun will use it. Pelleted cat litter is good for that - though make sure it's a wood only one, not one with silica or clay in it as this can harm your bun if he eats it.
There are also cardboard/paper substrates which may be less likely to get stuck in his fur, and you could use these all over the cage or just in a littertray if he uses one. Carefresh and Megazorb are one type (both very similar but Megazorb comes in bulk whereas Carefresh doesn't). Ecopetbed/Easibed is a chopped corrogated cardboard bedding designed originally for horses with respiratory problems, but works well for small animals too, and doesn't cling to the fur. The only problem is finding a supplier - though you can order them online you pay up to 3 times as much as the actual product for the postage costs!
It might be worth trying a horse supplies/farm shop near you to see if they do any paperbased horse substrates that you could use.
And if he is littertrained, you don't necessarily need a substrate all over his cage/hutch, just in the littertray. If he has a hutch and you're worried about accidents, you could line the bottom with an offcut of lino to prevent any wee from absorbing into the wood.

thanks for getting back so quickly,were would i get this vet bed stuff from?i do have another rabbit but he is in a hutch out side with the normal bedding like shavings and hay but this one iv only had for a few days and he lives in doors and proberly will always as he is an high maintance rabbit and need brushing every day,he is only 16weeks old and very fluffy,every time i get him out he just has hay stuck in his fur and i can see it becoming a problem,im going to bye a litter tray tomorrow and give that a go,thank you so much for all your information.

If he's indoors then he should be fine with just the vet bed stuff to sleep on.
Argos sell it as well as some petshops or you can get it on ebay too

My lionhead is on newspaper covered in hay! He has a litter tray filled with wood pellets litter which is ace!

I find the hay gets in his fur a little, but not too bad that I can't just comb it out! :D

Have you got any piccies?!! :D :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :p

no sorry i dont have any pictures of him yet,may be i will try to put one on tomorrow its just im not any good at this computor thing so i will get my hubbie to put one on for me, yours is very cute, my lionhead is sort of white with flecky brown bits in his fur and a very dark gray nose and ears.[/b]

Awww, he sounds lovely!

Don't worry, Im not good at the computer thing either, my o/h does it all for me too!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ive only had rudy for 3 weeks, so Im learning as well! :wink:

iv only had mine since thursday,hes lovely his name is pipin thats what my little boy named him and the other one i have his name is fluff,the names should be the other way round as pipin is the fluffy one.
my names laura too
if you have any other information for me about lionheads then please let me know
my intension are to try and house train him but i think i will see how that goes. :roll:

Lots in common then :lol: :lol:

Will you be bonding the two you have? Ahh bet they are lovely! :D

There are quite a few people on here with lionheads so there are loads of people to help :D

I have two fuzzy lionheads too... I use wood based cat litter in trays, newspaper in one area and the rest covered in either blankets or vetbed. I got my vetbed from argos too.

you have fuzzy lionheads! what are they? there seems to be different sorts,my littlelion head has a big fluffy mane and a long bouncy fringe and also what he has is a what they call a skirt around the outside of the lower part of his body were all the hay gets stuck,some seem to not have this skirt,will it malt out or will it stay? :bunny:

Hi, I have a very fluffy Lionhead called Phoebe. She lives outside and has barley straw on her shed floor as well as a litter tray full of hay. She does get bits stuck in her fur but i pull them out when i brush her. She tends to get a few mats round her tail and mane so i trim her quite regularly too. Its a good idea to get them used to being groomed when they are young. She doesn't take much more looking after than my shorthaired rabbits and i enjoy giving her a haircut she looks really cute afterwards! :D

Before the haircut.....
hairymonster2.jpg

And after!
hairymonster3.jpg

Hi,

Sorry to join the thread so late. Haven’t been on the forum much in the past couple of months as I’ve been moving home and only just go my internet connection up and running again.

Anyway – I have two rabbits one of which is a Lion Head. I tried vet bed to start with – my logic being that if I was a rabbit that’s probably what I’d like to sit on but they just used to dig it up and lie on the metal floor.

Then I tried newspaper which they loved (to tear up) but I didn’t! The cage was in my bedroom at the time and listening to rabbits shredding newspaper all night is akin to water torture so that had to go.

Sawdust / straw was never going to happen. 

In the end I took some advice I found on one of the boards – I went to the pound shop and bought a pack of laminate tiles for a pound. To date these are the best solution I’ve found. The rabbits like them because they are warm and I like them because they’re easy to sweep / wipe clean.

Just experiment and have fun with it all.

Damien

well thank you all so much for all your help,i went out and bought the vet bed today and a toilet tray,he looks a bit confused :shock: but im sure he will get used to it. :wave:

For my two lionheads i have a litter tray with megazorb in it ( get from a horse supply place) and my angora cross is so hairy she has vet bed in her litter try and some newspaper around as she is not as well trained as the other two. They are all inside. Pm me if you need anything. Good luck

Back