• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Another upset tummy!

sparklefairy

Wise Old Thumper
Last night Storm was fine and did his normal huge solid poo, but then a few minutes later he passed some very soft poo,the normal size but just soft ( not the ones rabbits eat!). a while later it was very sludgey stuff with a small amount of liquid in it(Yuck!) I have no idea what caused it as there has been no diet change, he and Gypsy have eated the same and she's fine. maybe he just made a pig of him self?.
I was so worried last night, I've never had a bun with a bad tummy before, although I've had rabbits for many years. What should I do if it happens again? and when does it become serious? what usually causes this?
I think he's ok now, his poo looked almost normal, just slighty smaller. I can hear him and Gypsy charging around upstairs! :lol:

Hiya. Sometimes Buns with an early stage dental problem will get runny poos because they are not able to eat enough hay/grass. Is Storm a good hay eater? Has he had his teeth checked? I would try to encourage him to eat as much hay as possible. Feeding him dried pellets with a high fibre content will help too. If the problem persists/recurs I would get your Vet to check him over, particularly his teeth. Of course if Storm were to appear to be 'poorly' within himself I would get him to your Vet straight away. Blackberry leaves are good for settling a Buns tum due to their astringent nature. You need to make sure they are washed well though. Jane and Buns xx

Jacobs fine now. I just stopped greenstuff for a few days which was tough as Jacob knows he gets some when i do my breakfast, mid afternoon and a plate at bedtime so he was racing round madly waiting for them! As he was fine in himself I just took deep breaths and tried to be calm and monitor the situation. Jacobs poos weren't liquid though but fairly soft and runny.

Now he's OK I'm trying to get him off Russel Rabbit for the 25th time or thereabouts. I got some Science selective and he seemed quite keen when I fed him a few bits as he sat in his tray last night so fingers crossed. It does smell good, and looks more apetising than the excel pellets so i hope we can do this. I'm hoping this stuff will be better for him, he gets mucky bums as overweight and i think this feed is more healthy isn't it?

I hope Storm is 100% soon. It's hard being a bunny Mum, we so worry don't we! If Jacob sneezes once, I don't think it's due to him rummaging in his food, I think it's snuffles! He's part of my heart running around and I do worry.

Thank you for the replies! he eats quite a lot of hay, oxbow timothy hay and orchard grass. He has science selective pellets too. He also has spring greens, and a few other fresh veggies at night. He's never had a problem before.
I really hope it's not his teeth :( he's a Frenchie, I've heard of a few that have teeth problems. He did have his teeth checked when he was neautered a few weeks ago. He's nearly 6 months old, would dental problems show up so soon?
He doesn't look sick in any way, even last night with his runny bum he was running around ( leaving a little trail on my carpet! :roll: ) and playing. He just didn't eat his veggies, which was weird for him. He just ate hay.
THanks for the tip on the blackberry leaves Jane, and for the advice. Thanks also tomjacob. I'm glad jacob is ok now :D it can be hard being a bunny mum!, but worth it!

Well i found a big bit of runny smelly poo in the run on Sat.

I am not sure which one of the buns did it though.

I didn't give them any veg that evening or all day Sunday and they seem on now!

They do like to worry us don't they? :? I got so paranoid that I ordered some diaoreah (sp?) drops from bunnybasics! :lol: ( are these any good?)

yes I've heard if you just give them hay for a couple of days it will clear itself up usually - but if they stop eating veg it's usually their teeth bothering them isn't it? Not sure on that one... :?

I've been paranoid about Storm's teeth. Bilbo had very bad teeth, so I'm so very careful to give my buns the right food. They have loads of hay ( which they have no trouble eating) and chew sticks and wood blocks and willow toys. they only get ss, as I used to feed russel rabbit to bilbo and he only picked out the softer bits ( and would not touch hay :roll: )
sometimes a rabbit can still eat well, even with bad teeth. Bilbo was like this, I only knew there was a problem when his eyes started running. His teeth has grown at an angle and he got an infected tear duct, but still ate like a pig :shock:
I think Storm is ok now, I just wish I knew what caused it

Back