• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help Please!!!!!

Ali

Warren Veteran
Help Please, I have just had Barney outside, running about, picked him up to brush him as he is still moulting, went to do his feet, he had some poo stuck on them so started to brush this off, his fur is thick, on his feet, seperated the fur to get a bit of poo off and his feet look sore, would this be sore hocks, I have never seen it before so I am not sure, if it is what should I do?

This is new too me Sorry

Ali and Barney

What does it look like? Are there any cuts? Are they bleeding?

Sometimes hoouse buns get sore hocks from the carpets and sudocrem can help applied to the affected area!

I can't help much more than that.... sorry!

There is no cuts or bleeding, a hard lump off skin very dry and red, its the same on both feet, looks a bit like a varucca, I've just tried to take a pic but it didn't come out very clear :cry:

We have no carpets downstairs, its tiled or wood flooring,
He never sits on anything in his cage he scrabs everything out, he just sits on plastic :cry:

Ali and Barney

Hiya. Is it actually Barney's FEET(ie the little pink fleshy bits) or his hocks?? If the former then sometimes a bun who is a bit....Ermmm...'portly' will get very dark pink feet. When wet they can look red and sore. They seldom are sore though. If it is his hocks then you can apply a small amount of haemorrhoid cream :shock: :shock: to them. This will act as an anti-bacterial and it also contains a local anaesthetic. Buns with sore hocks need to be bedded on deep soft hay or better still Vetbed. If bun is a bit chubby losing weight will help too. As long as the skin is not broken you need not worry too much but you do need to keep a close check on the condition as it is often progressive. Jane and Buns xx

Hi thanks Jane for replying,

Barney is not overweight, its right at the back of his foot on the heel, his litter tray is changed daily, so does not get to messy, or wet, he will not sit on anything eg hay, straw, woodshavings, he just scrabbs everything out of his bed and lays on the plastic :cry:

Ali and Barney

Lots of my buns have the little 'corn looking' calouses on their feet. As long as it is not causing Barney Bun any pain and he does not keep licking it I would just leave it alone. If his feet were wet when you noticed it then it will look far worse than it actually is. I would just keep a check on it and if it starts to bother him you could have a word with your Vet, Although I doubt it will cause Barney any problems at all. Jane and Buns xx

Thanks Jane,

It is very dry, I have not seen him licking it at all, I think I will take him to the vet just to put my mind at rest, I would hate it to get worse, I feel bad enough
because I only noticed it today, I only brushed he two days ago and never saw it :cry:
and thank you :p
Ali and Barny

Back