• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How quickly do bunny teeth grow?

Carob

Mama Doe
I wondered if anyone can tell me how quickly bunny teeth grow also can anyone tell me if their teeth grow at the same speed throughout their lifetime or does it speed up or slow down at different stages of their life?

they grow continuously throughout their life but i've no idea as to wether it ranges in speed depending on age.. from what i've read they grow about 4 inches (about 10cm) in a year.. and that's FAST :shock: tobey's just had to have his incisors out due to malucussion and they were overgrowing after just 4 weeks, it all depends on the alignment. if they are correctly aligned as long as they have enough hay they should keep trim by themselves, but even a slight misalignment means no matter how much hay they eat they will always over grow :(

Lucy is a Nethie and every year she has to have a GA and have her teeth clipped and rasped, the last time she had it done was the week before christmas last year; took her to the vets yesterday to have her claws clipped and asked the vet to check her teeth and he said they have grown very quickly again. Lucy has a back tooth which does not have an opposing tooth above it therefore there is nothing to stop it over growing; what I usually do is moniter her eating and as soon as she starts to slow down with her eating then that is when she goes off to the vets, this normally happens once a year am I doing the right thing? I don't want her having a GA too often.

i'm not too "in the know" with the regards to back teeth as tobeys only ever had problems with his incisors. i think if the molars get spurs too then there's not much choice but to keep going for burring, but if it's just one i'm not sure if they would remove that one tooth, maybe they would, i'm not too sure on that one. i think you're doing the right thing, looking for signs of slowing down with eating and things. i've heard nethie's have a lot of tooth problems because of their tiny faces and little jaws so often have a lot of problems with misaligned teeth. once a year is quite lucky i think, a lot of buns have to go very often.

hopefully someone else can give some insight with regards to molar problems! it's sad that tooth problems are so common :(

:( Travis had to have his molars done once a month, as it was growing so fast, he's now due to have the one affected tooth removed to allow for more time in between likely GA's. This will then put me in a similar position to yourself. I think it sounds like you're doing the right thing, Travis will just go back for monitoring check ups at the moment this is every 2 weeks, but by removing the tooth, it will be longer

I have been having Tilly's molars filed about every 6 weeks, and her partner's about every 2 months. Nethies like dwarf lops are prone to this problem because of their tiny heads. Once you start having them filed, you have to keep going back really. b-m

Back