• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

emaciated bunny

bunnyrun

Mama Doe
today i had a phonecall from a lady who asked me if i could take in her bunny because she realised kids were not taking care of it wen i gopt there i was horrified to find the poor bunny has bn starved he is so thin you can see and feel all his bones its heartbreaking can anyone advise me what i should feed him on to build him up,he is a german meisner which i think he is also known as a german lop and he is 2

Hiya. Poor bun :cry: I would feed him lots of good quality hay. Do you know what dried pellets/cereal mix he is used to. You dont want to bombard his tum with too much too quickly. I would try to let him settle in with you and gradually introduce things to his diet. Porrige Oats are good for getting weight on a Bun but yyou dont want to rush things and upset his Tum. It would be a good idea to get a Vet to check his teeth. He may well be so thin because he CANT eat much due to a dental problem. Hopefully now you have him he will regain his strength. As long as he has lots of hay, the dried mix/pellets he is used to and the gradual introduction of a handful of Porrige Oats a day I am sure he will recover. But getting his teeth checked is a must I think. Jane and Buns xx

Poor bunny how could anyone ever do that to an animal!

Hopefully he will find a nice home soon.

Give him a cuddle from me

Lynda

as far as im aware he wasnt fed on any dry food wen i asked what he was fed on i was told just vegetables, ive checked his front teeth and they are perfect ive given him a small bowl of pellets and ive never seen a bunny eat so fast,he is so friendly i really cant believe he has been so neglected at least he is safe with me now and hopefully i can get him through this weve called him murdoch, ive also bn told to syringe feed him baby porridge does anyone know if this is the right thing to do?

So glad he's with you now. sorry, don't have any advice, but good luck and lots of snuggles to him.

you don't need to syringe feed him anything if he can eat on his own - but you must soak porridge oats in a splash of boiling water till they've swelled up and cooled - or they swell in the stomach.

If an animal has been starved you can kill it feeding it too much too soon - it just can't cope - they must have small amounts, like a teaspoonful, often, rather than lots in one go. I would give him a teaspoon of pellets every hour. Not that I'm an expert! :shock:

He may prefer water in a bowl or a bottle, so I'd give him both - perhaps a splash of apple juice in the water if he doesn't seem keen to drink.

Well done for saving this poor bunny! - hope he recovers soon :)

Chomper was skin and bones when we brought her home, and it took a few weeks and some loving care before she started to look healthy again. So long as your bun is eating, just keep offering high quality hay and pellets and an assortment of veggies/leafy greens. Check in with your vet if you're concerned, of course.

Back