• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit alergy

Deelove

Wise Old Thumper
Does anyone know if there's anything that can be done to minimise people's alergy's to rabbits. I've met someone who neglected to tell me he used to be alergic to rabbits, and it flared up when he met Molly. Would Molly have to stay in his crate, or would that not help either? He was all intrigued that Molly was 'like a dog'. I guess if there's nothing to be done he'll have to go...

The guy that is. :p

I know that nreal_hill has spoken about problems like this before? Might be worth PM'ign to ask...will try to find the thread

Go to Tesco/Sainsbugs, buy packet of 'Non-Drowsy' Antihistamine tabs (98p) administer one a day to allergic chappie and then let romance blossom!!.... :wink: :lol: :lol: Jane and Buns xx

Tesco also sells Petalcleanse (some pet shops do too) which is like a lotion you wipe over the animal, which is meant to help a lot. I think you need to buy the cat version for small animals.

i'm allergic to rabbits :shock: :shock:
it settles down after a while for me, but the thing that helped me most was to cut right down on dairy product for the first few weeks.
i have no idea why it worked but someone suggested it and it did work!
bear in mind my allergy symptoms consist of just itchy eyes and sneezing, nothing more sinister.

Rabbits (and gerbils, as far as I know) do not have sweat glands and therefore do not sweat. This means that they do not have body odour. I think that makes them allergen free... I am allergic to all animals with fur, but I am fine with two rabbits and a gerbil. It may be the hay or wood shavings that are acctually causing the allergic reaction... :)

I have a allergy to cats but i have a cat,I love cats so i put up with it it was horrible for about 2 weeks now i seem to be imune but only with my kitty around anyone elses too long and im sneezing and itchy eyes again.
After a while you will get a immunity against them but its unpleasant in the mean time,

Was also going to recommend Petal Cleanse, there is one for dogs & one for cats & small animals. It will take at least a week to see any results.

Ive recommended it to quite a few people & most have said it has improved the symptoms of allergies including asthma. I used to use it as my son was asthmatic from 2 until 5, he has outgrown it now :)

I'm also allergic to bunnies! Having read up, apparently it's not the fur itself, but the saliva on the fur from grooming that often causes the allergies! Also apparently pet allergies take 2 weeks of exposure to calm down a lot, and this is certainly true for me, I no longer have a problem with any of mine or my cat - but I am allergic to most others I meet. I've also heard that Petal Cleanse is very good, or maybe try other types of allergy relief wipes. If you wipe them over the animal they are supposed to remove most of the allergens.

I'd suggest trying a combination of allergy wipes on the bunny, thoroughly hoovering before Casanova arrives (to remove any trace of allergens on the sofa/other places that Molly may wander) and keeping Molly in his crate while he is present. It should reduce over time - hopefully unlike the romance!!

Back