• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

tummy rubs - she's ok

honey

Alpha Buck
maple seems a bit "off" at the moment. she ate her food this morning and had a long run until early afternoon. when i put her back she lay down but that's quite normal for her in the afternoon. but she still doesn't want to move :( i've put a bit of food in and she's not interested in pellets, carrot or parsley. put her for a run but she just went home and lay down :?

i've felt her belly and she doesn't feel bloated but then i've never felt a bloated bunny belly. i syringed some water into her and a drop of infacol and thought i'd give her a tummy rub as i've often read that if they are bloated that can help.

is there a particular way to rub their bellies? i gave her long strokes down her belly and circular ones too, it made a noise which was a bit like the squelching i got when i gave bailey his ear drops and had to massage the base of his ear :?
does that mean anything?

i'll be keeping a close eye on her and hoping she's just having one of those days. she's normally a little monkey though this time of day and jumping all over the place :D :D

Hiya. Sounds like she has tummy ache and well done you for all you have done for her. The tummy rubs you are giving sound fine and what you can hear is all the gas/fluid in her guts moving around. Has she passed normal poops today? If not I think you had better give your Vet a call. Your Bun might need some pain relief and if your Vet thinks it appropriate a gut motility stimulant. If she has done a normal amount of poops/wees then I would continue syringing some WARM water into her. Giving gentle Tummy rubs each time. You can also give her some more Infacol. It is a good idea to keep her inside if she is an outdoor bun so you can keep a close eye on her. Also poorly Buns find it difficult to maintain their body temperature so keeping her warm is important. If you are at all concerned then I would call your Vet for advice. Hope she soon feels better. Jane and Buns xx

well i've just been out to feed them and she was starving :oops: :roll: :oops: :?

it's really hard to know when to make that decision that there's definitely a big problem :roll: i suppose at least i know now how to tummy rub in future although i hope i don't need to, it's a bit weird reading all the info on here then when you think you need to do it loads of questions spring to mind :?

thank jane and rallybunny for your advice :D

No problem!! Well done, your healing hands obviously did the trick :wink: Glad she is better :thumb: Jane and Buns xx

Back