• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying ...dilemma...

helenlop2

Young Bun
Hi all,

Need some advice on whether or not to spay our french lop. She has recenly lost her partner, an english lop who died under general anesethic. We always planned to have her spayed and she is now 10 mths old. Took her to the same vet last week for a check up and to discuss our concerns about the operation, having just lost a bun, and their advice was to not have her spayed.

The reasoned that the risks of her contracting cancer were far less than the risks of a GA on a large bunny. She weight 9kg and is in great shape and health.

What should we do? Anyone else had a similiar situation?

Thanks,

Helen

Hiya. Were your two buns related? If so there may be a genetic heart problem which caused the sad loss of her partner. If that were the case I probably would not opt for spaying. Is your Vet very experienced with Rabbit Medicine? If not what about getting a second opinion from an expert. Giant breeds are more prone to heart problems, but personally I would not have thought that her being a Giant Breed is ,on its own, a good enough reason not to spay her. But IF there were a genetic problem that would be entirely different. If she were mine and was NOT related to the Bun who passed away I think I would get a second opinion from a 'Rabbit Expert Vet' and if they said go ahead with spaying I would and I would request she be operated on by the expert from whom the second opinion was obtained. I am so sorry your other bunny passed away and very best wishes for whatever you decide for your big girlie. Jane and Buns xx :oops: :oops: PS JUST REALISED THEY CANT BE RELATED AS ARE DIFFERENT BREEDS!! So I'd go for the 'second opinion'.

Thanks Jane

Quite correct...not related!

In hindsight, the bun we lost had never been in perfect health. This was his 4th dental in as many years and hte vet jut said his heart stopped so quickly after administering the anasethic that it must surely have been weak.

I think we will try taking her to the Vetinary hospital in Nantwich which seems quite good and up to date. Will make sure we ask about rabbit care and see an appropriate vet.

Thanks and yes, it's very sad and we miss him loads!

Helenx

Hi Helen. I suspect your Vet would also be nervous about operating on YOUR Bun because of what happened to her partner and dreading the UNLIKELY event of a similar thing happening. So for all concerned getting a second opinion seems to be the best option. Jane and Buns xx

Yes i lost my boy a week and a day ago under anaesthetic and now my two girls are bonded really and i know when their hormones kick in thei will need to be speyed and im having a dilema about it

Im 99% sure they will be getting done because of the risk of cancer but i know i will absolutely be at my wits end when they are at the vets as i didnt expect to lose my Quinn Bunny when he was only going to be neutered

It must be so hard to loose a bunny under anaesthetic but although there is a risk it is still worth the op in my opinion. I have had 4 rabbits spayed and neutered without problems and although i worry alot at the time it is worth it afterwards.

I would really like to know if spaying increases life expectancy for bunnies, but with it being such a recent trend I guess it will be several years till there are any statistics? I've got 6 unspayed girls (4 live happily together - was 5 till one got poorly and lost her eye.)

I know they have a cancer risk, but do the spayed girls live to a good age anyway? Anyone know of any studies?

elve said:
I would really like to know if spaying increases life expectancy for bunnies, but with it being such a recent trend I guess it will be several years till there are any statistics? I've got 6 unspayed girls (4 live happily together - was 5 till one got poorly and lost her eye.)

I know they have a cancer risk, but do the spayed girls live to a good age anyway? Anyone know of any studies?
....a 'read' from what you would THINK would be an 'anti-spay' perspective...ie a BREEDERS http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Valley/1155/UC.html Jane and Buns xx

Hi maybe for now you should listen to your vet and not have her speyed but if her behaviour changes due to not being speyed mabye then you should re-think it.

Good Luck

Lynda

thanks for that link Jane - really interesting - basically about half of all female rabbits over age 4 have uterine cancer! :shock:

Compared with a 1% risk of them dying under anaesthetic...

Thought it was also interesting that there's no evidence of it in rex rabbits - wonder why?

What i found interresting was cross breeds came off worse than pure breeds :shock: , the other way round in dogs. Nice to know my hares are not likly to get it. val :)

Back