• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

my boy bunny is a girl!! - UPDATE

toffee

Mama Doe
Hello. I have an 11wk old bunny and have had it 2 wks. The pet shop told me it was a boy bunny and so i called him Leon. When I went to the vet on Wednesday she said that Leon is a she. I just wanted to ask what you all think I should do - do I carry on calling her Leon or change her name. She looks like a Leon I think. The other option is to call her Lola. What do you think?

(My boyfriend has said that she's a rabbit and won't care so we might as well keep the same name!)

Re: my boy bunny is a girl!!

toffee said:
Hello. I have an 11wk old bunny and have had it 2 wks. The pet shop told me it was a boy bunny and so i called him Leon. When I went to the vet on Wednesday she said that Leon is a she. I just wanted to ask what you all think I should do - do I carry on calling her Leon or change her name. She looks like a Leon I think. The other option is to call her Lola. What do you think?

(My boyfriend has said that she's a rabbit and won't care so we might as well keep the same name!)

Maybe if you psoted a picture, we could express our opinion on which name suits her. :wink:

I wouldn't worry too much.

I never call Skip, Skip!!! He has loads of nicknames and comes when he's called by any of them as i think it's more the tone of voice i use rather than the actual name.

Skip is like his birth certificate name and his nicknames are all silly ones :oops: :lol:

We had the same situation when we got Harvey although when we got him we were told he was female by the pet shop. On his first check up at the vets, they also said he a girl. When we took "her" in to be speyed they shaved "her" and found his testicles. Funny thing though was he called "her! Harvey so it was OK when we found out He was a boy!!

122-2230_IMG.jpg

:lol: The same thing happened to me with Willow. Willow was always a she until the day came for 'her' spay when we actually discovered it was a boy.

We decided to keep the name willow as it still suited him anyway :shock:

Yeah, Molly used to be a she. But by that time Molly had stuck. Of course everyone in my household seems to have a different name for him. Mr. Wabbit is a popular one, Molster, Mollykins, Molbun. Of course I prefer ratbag. :) Hey, the rabbit doesn't know what gender names are anyway, I always thought Hazel was a girls name.

I used to think Binky was a girl when I got him which is funny because Binky isn't a very feminine name. :shock: But then when he went to the vets to get an injection, the vet referred to him as a "he".

Rosie gets called Dozy all the time cos shes always sleeping and thats not male or female lol and Saffy is just saff saff - not that either of them appear 2 know their names lol

Quinn said:
Rosie gets called Dozy all the time cos shes always sleeping and thats not male or female lol and Saffy is just saff saff - not that either of them appear 2 know their names lol

I once thought Binky knew his name when I called it and looked over at me but I think that's just because I scared him a little because I said it really loud. :oops: :lol:

Hi the exact same thing happened to me but I called my bunny Benji and when I found out he was a she I couldn't carry on calling her that so I changed her name to Molly. She know's her name is Molly its like she was never called Benji!

If you didn't want to change her name what about Leonie?

Lynda

ljs383 said:
Hi the exact same thing happened to me but I called my bunny Benji and when I found out he was a she I couldn't carry on calling her that so I changed her name to Molly. She know's her name is Molly its like she was never called Benji!

If you didn't want to change her name what about Leonie?

Lynda

Yeah, that's nice. Or maybe Leona?

UPDATE

I have decided on a solution that works out for the best. I have decided to call her Lola (I'm getting used to it now) and have persuaded my boyfriend to let me adopt a boy rescue bunny when Lola has been spayed. So I will get a new baby in a few months and Lola will get a boyfriend!! :lol: :D

Back