• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbits Nails

AprilShower

Warren Veteran
I was just wondering if anybody her cuts their rabbits nails themsleves, or whether you go to a vet. I'd be inclined to go to a vet for the first few times anyway...but I was just wondering how often they should be cut, and how long they should be before they need to be cut.

Any help?

i've always done it myself with one person to hold the bunny and one to clip. if you haven't done it before it's probably worth having the vet show you how.

some rabbits need them doing others don't, just keep a check.

i always use a bench/table for checks and medicating etc that's out of the rabbits normal area as they tend to not wriggle so much :wink:

i had to learn how to cut my lots and fast i have 25 + rabbits here at any one time and as they all have 18 nails each thats alotta nails, i dont know when you should cut them i just know when mine need doing hey i tend t do it once ever month is supose. just remember to not go near the quick!

I bought some rabbit nail clippers from the vet and I actually find it quite easy to cut my buns nails using these.

On most nails you can see where the blood vessels start, so I make sure I cut the nails above where the blood vessels end. Some of my buns have black nails, so I just make sure I take the very end of these buns nails.

Hope this helps.

Carol xx

i can tell when they need doing from the noise on the laminate floor.

as a guide i was told to trim to the end of the hairline.

I have taken my two to the vets a couple of times to be done, and then decided to spare them the stress I would do them myself. I get my son to hold them, but it is hard I find with black nails to know where to cut them, I am so scared that I am going to hurt them.

Carole

I take Lucy to the vets to have it done as I do not trust myself with a pair of clippers. She actually went to the vets today to have her claws clipped and she was so good. :)

Carole said:
I have taken my two to the vets a couple of times to be done, and then decided to spare them the stress I would do them myself. I get my son to hold them, but it is hard I find with black nails to know where to cut them, I am so scared that I am going to hurt them.

Carole

I think I'd be scared cutting no matter what colour it is! :oops:
I really don't trust myself.

I do it myself. After doing a very wriggly, bitey cockatiel's claws for a year and a half the bunnies seems like complete angels in comparison.

I've cut Piggies nails, but never my rabbits'. I've heard that people use normal, human nail clippers only used sideways rather than the horozontal way we'd do it. Yes or no? :).

I do my dutch white nails but I'm a little nervous of doing Nutmegs as she has black nails.
I hold them myself too, this is how I hold them, she's the easiest but Peter after a while will try and get up.
DSCI0046.jpg

It is easy once youve done it a couple of times. When the nails are longer than the hair on the toes then they need cutting. If you always just cut back to the hair line you cannot go wrong, dont forget the dew claw. val :D

Back