• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Amy update and Fudge!!!

touie

Wise Old Thumper
Just looked at Amys wound today and there's a tiny hole appeared at the operation site on her tummy and its very swollen and looks infected :( I have a vets appointment for 7pm they wouldn't fit me in any earlier :(

aww poor princess amy. she's been through a rough ride so far. how is she in herself?

fingers crossed vets goes fine, its rather annoying you couldnt get in before tonight.

she's absolutely fine in herself, charging round with my unwanted post as usual! But she always has been fine when when she was in the hospital she was really lively apparently! :lol:

Oh dear :cry: :cry: I am wondering if the wound would be better left with a drainage opening?? Also, I am not convinced oral Baytril will be doing much good,especially if she is not taking the full dose. If your Vet refuses to give Penicillin injections could you suggest they prescribe Septrin (Co-trimoxazole) This is at least palatable (Banana Flavoured) and so Amy might be easier to medicate with it.Poor girlie :cry: Jane and Buns xx

I'll suggest it, her wound looked really good a few days ago :( She has completed the whole bottle of the baytril that the vet gave me I discovered she would have it much more easily if she knew a treat was coming afterwards! :wink: I'll mention the other to the vet though I've a feeling that my vet will be reluctant to use anything other than Baytril as she's already told me that it's the only antibiotic licensed for rabbits :roll:

touie said:
I'll suggest it, her wound looked really good a few days ago :( She has completed the whole bottle of the baytril that the vet gave me I discovered she would have it much more easily if she knew a treat was coming afterwards! :wink: I'll mention the other to the vet though I've a feeling that my vet will be reluctant to use anything other than Baytril as she's already told me that it's the only antibiotic licensed for rabbits :roll:
Yes it is BUT if it is not working a Vet can prescribe off-licence. Could your vet consult with Bristol Rabbit Clinic at Bristol Zoo?? Or you could offer to sign a disclaimer so Vet knows he/she wont be sued for prescribing off-licence. You might want to print this info' off for your Vet.

The Rabbit Clinic opened on the 21st July 04 and is the first Rabbit-only clinic in the UK.

Rabbit resident
We are also delighted to introduce Brigitte Reusch as the first Rabbit Resident in the UK; her sponsors are the Rabbit Welfare Fund and Bristol Zoo Gardens. The other members of the team are Sharon Redrobe and Ian Sayers.

Consultations and Appointments
We offer a first opinion and referral service for all your challenging rabbit cases. Consultations are seen every Wednesday at the Small Animal Hospital, Langford, Bristol.

First opinion
Appointments can be made by our receptionist on (0117) 928 9420.

Referral
Appointments will need to be arranged by the referring veterinary surgeon, please send your referral letters at least 24 hours before your clients appointment, by post or fax (0117) 928 9628.

We look forward to meeting you and your wonderful bunnies.

The Veterinary Team

University home about this site | terms and conditions | feedback
Department of Clinical Veterinary Science,
University of Bristol, Langford House,
Langford, North Somerset, BS40 5DU © 2002-2006 University of Bristol
Updated 10/11/2004 by Site Admin

Jane and Buns xx

yes thats a good idea I'll mention that thanks! :wink: If the Baytril was working would that have stopped it getting infected completely then? Her genitals (touch wood) which was the bit that the vet was really worried about look good! :D

touie said:
yes thats a good idea I'll mention that thanks! :wink: If the Baytril was working would that have stopped it getting infected completely then? Her genitals (touch wood) which was the bit that the vet was really worried about look good! :D
The Baytril may be containing the infection but from what I have come to understand it seldom cures the infection entirely and re-abscessation is common. Some Vets acually use both Baytril and Septrin at the same time in severe cases. Sounds like your Vet might be a bit nervous of prescribing for Bunnies so he/she might feel better for talking with a Vet who has more experience with them. You might have to put that 'tactfully' though!! :wink: :wink: Jane and Buns xx

poor Amy - Your vet's attitude is really unhelpful - my vet sent a swab of the pus to a lab to be analysed and the lab recommended which antibiotics would be most effective against the organism causing the infection.

My vet said that baytril was useless in Maa's case, but one of the lab. recommended antibiotics wasn't licensed for rabbits - However another was, and it wasn't baytril - so why is your vet saying this is all she can use? Maa's infection cleared in a week on the right antibiotic.

just did a search - metronidazole is what got Maa's infection sorted - it turned out to be a bacterium that thrives in places where there's no air getting to the wound - bit like MRSA in humans. They were big tablets and I had to crush half a tablet and mix with mushed up pellets to get her to eat it - The vet said syringe it in with water - no chance! :roll:

I will mention the other anti-biotics to the vet. I've been trying to take a pic so you can see it. If i use a flash it just comes out white and without it's a bit dark. I got my 11 year old to take it so its a bit blurry but you can just make out the disfigured genetals and a little pink bit above. I can't see any pus but there is a slight crust. It's probably not as bad as it's been sounding but I'm rather worried! Amy's got quite used to being handled now and doesn't struggle at all! :shock:
feb06044.jpg

The vet said i was good to spot it when I did! :D She has squeezed the pus out and cleaned the wound, she said it was very superficial and that the underlying skin looks good, she also said that the swelling now seems less than at the last visit so she's hopefull it will get better without any more intervention. I have to squeeze any pus out over the weekend and apply dermosol cream into it. She has another check up on Monday so fingers crossed its looking better by then or else they are going to operate again but this time leave it open!!! :(

At least the vet thinks it looks better, that's a good thing :D fingers crossed that it will heal up nicely soon! I love your big girlie :D

Yes, well done for being on-the-ball and noticing the swelling. Lets hope that clearing any pus over the w/e will be enough. Manuka Honey is good for abscessated/infected tissue.Makes the wound heal over though so you have to be vigilant re keeping it open. Fingers crossed Amy wont need another op'. Jane and Buns xx

oh I hope she gets well soon - and you seem to have tamed her! :shock: :) Maybe I should wrestle with my wild girls every day for a month? :lol:

elve said:
oh I hope she gets well soon - and you seem to have tamed her! :shock: :) Maybe I should wrestle with my wild girls every day for a month? :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: yes the vet was suprised she got the floor ready for her in case, but she didn't struggle at all! We have pick up cuddles every day now! :D

Back