• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

ANYONE ABLE TO HELP -HERMAPHRODITE BUNNY

Hello,

I recently took in 2 bonded male rabbits. It was obvious the younger 7 month old one was being bullied by the 11 month old. At their initial vet check the 11 month old was deemed healthy enough to be neutered, but the younger one had no visible testicles and appeared to be an hermaphrodite bunny, neither completely male or female.

I named bunny 'Billie', and she is currently a doe. Very prickly and anxious but happier since being being split from her partner.

Does anyone have any advice or experience they can give me about these type of buns? I understand they can be difficult to bond and their condition is usually as a result of inter breeding.

Currently Billie is relaxing for a month or so. I would like to see her put on a bit of weight before she undergo's any neutering operation. She is a bright little bun, very interested in all that is going on, and very hungry!

Alice

Thanks Janice! I noticed him on there, Lynx isn't it? That is where I learned to how to spell the word :lol:

I just wondered if anyone else has some feedback as we all have such different experiences and I am concerned about making the right decision for Billie. But good idea, I can always get in touch with animal aid too!

Alice

I just check the calendar and it's not April 1 yet. I heard there are human that is hermaphrodite. But a rabbit? I don't suppose there is time for photos for the curious type like me, is there?

Years ago, when I was fostering for another charity, we had a hermaphrodite bunny.
We homed him/her as a lone house bun - very cutting edge for those days as this was practically unheard of.
This might be the best idea - would hate to think of him being bullied again.

Yes Donna, this would be a wonderful option for Billie! She has been through so much and I really want her life to be settled.

Sorry Happy Hopping, I am useless at getting photos onto the forum. I will take one and send it to someone who is clever! Will PM you when it is completed. Billie looks like any other little black rabbit with up standing ears, a darling little bunny!

Alice

you can go to imageshack.us, upload the JPG, it'll give you a link to the pic.

Cut & paste the link and post it here, we can all see it. give it a try

Back