• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I can see me being up all night............

Melndan

Mama Doe
Smudge won't eat anything. I had taken the water to him and he has ahd a drink but I can't tempt him with any food. He is just lying in his litter box of all places.
How long after a GA does a bun normally come round a bit?

Often the first night after a GA a male will be a little slow starting to eat and drink, this is where your powers of persuasion need to be used. A lot also depends on when they were done, if they were the first on the operating list they will be more advanced than a bunny done late afternoon. Definately by tomorrow morning with a boy they should be eating and pooping.

Lots of little tit bits is what you need like fresh grass / dandlions, herbs, finely cut or grated fruit and veg, softened pellets.

Janice

Hiya. He will be very drowsy tonight. If you make sure he is nice and warm that will help him pick up. Even if he is an indoor Bun if you can provide a snugglesafe or hot water bottle wrapped in a towel. Dont worry about syringe feeding him yet. As he has had a drink that will help. Buns take a good 12 hours to start to show any interest in food after a GA. Keeping him nice and warm really will help as the GA lowers the blood pressure and makes it hard for Buns to maintain their temperature. If you just provide him with hay,his fave veggies and a bowl of water I am sure he will start to eat during the night. If he has not eaten/pooped by the morning give your Vet a call and they may suggest bringing him in for a gut motility drug injection. Try not to worry too much (I know, easier said than done) but I am sure by the morning he will be much brighter. Jane and Buns xx

Alfie,was the same he just kept laying in his litter tray
has he pooed or wee'd?
I started syringe feeding him at 10pm the day of his op,tried temping him with all his favorite foods but was un intrested,so had to syringe him

His op was finished at 1pm.

The nurse told me I am to make sure he eats onight and deffo tomorrow as I have to give him his medication. (any tips on giving that too)

He hasn't been to the loo at all.
If I was to syringe feed him, what sort of food do I use. Never done it before.

Melndan said:
He hasn't been to the loo at all.
If I was to syringe feed him, what sort of food do I use. Never done it before.
What dry food does he eat?
mine have s/s so i just put hot water with it and made a sloppy watery mess to syringe him!

Sooty is an indoor bun. What i did, as I don't have a snugglesafe, was put a hot water bottle right next to his cage in the corner where he was sleeping and also covered that end with a blanket to try and keep the warmth in.

Oh and Sooty also decided that his litter tray was a nice place to sleep after his op too!! :lol:

Sue&Sooty said:
Sooty is an indoor bun. What i did, as I don't have a snugglesafe, was put a hot water bottle right next to his cage in the corner where he was sleeping and also covered that end with a blanket to try and keep the warmth in.

Oh and Sooty also decided that his litter tray was a nice place to sleep after his op too!! :lol:

Must be a man thing.
It is very warm in here at the mo. I have the heating on. We are cooking lol

I remember when I got my boy Con done he felt really sorry for himself all night, when I got Feena spayed she didn't make nearly as much fuss, I think males are the same whatever the species! :wink:

I would try him with all his favourite foods just to get his appetite going again, or even adding a little bit of juice to his water, often once they get the taste of something in their mouths they start eating again.

If you have herbs try tearing them to release the aromas and put them under his nose, without stressing him.

Good luck!

Hi,how is smudge doing? When i had my baby buns {brother and sister}done a few weeks ago they were both drowsy all night. I kept putting the water bowl under their chins so they had lots of drinks as they were not moving about at all. They did not really start eating until the middle of the night. I got up to check them and they were picking at hay, so i gave them some watercress and they ate that too. But it was probably not until the next evening that they started to look more alert. Good luck with Smudge.Pam

When Fern was spayed we had real tropuble getting her to eat, we tried mushy pellets in a syringe and she just spat it all out, then we tried some apple baby food (the one that is just apple with no added sugar) and we syringe fed her that and she loved it, that seemed to get her appetite going and she also took loads of water by syringe.

Hope smudge eats something soon! :D

Back