• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Corn kernals

Jack

New Kit
In the latest issue of Rabbiting on there is an article about rabbit toys. This says to aviod toys with corn kernals. Why is this, is it a choking risk?

For some time I have been giving my bunny those dried corn on the cobs you can get from pet shops - she loves them and they take her a long time to chew which I thought would be good for her teeth. Is this safe?

Cheers
Tina & vanilla

Hiya,

Ifeed my lot baby sweetcorn but not fullsize, im not 100% sure about choking etc as there are alot of for & against depending on various authors. I don't feed corn on the cob because of the stringyness & the kernals incase of choking plus they are huge compared to a bun or guinea so I feel it is too much starch for them.

Here is a link about rabbit care that mentions baby corn, I will see if there's one on sweetcorn on the cob too :)

http://www.vetsforum.com/lapis_feeding.htm

the kernels can cause impaction and gut blockage as they are indigestible. Baby corn probs has softer shells to it.

Back