• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Need help with somethin

My mom is so close to letting me get a bun! All I got to do is write an essay and then well who knows! but I need to know .....
*what to feed a bunny
*things to buy the first time
*any thing else you think might help
please :angel:

www.rabbit.org is a great source of information.
Also, why not have a browse through the forum and use the search feature to look for topics on rabbit diet and accessories to buy?

*what to feed a bunny
Depends what it is being fed on when you get it. A pellet food is best. All rabbits need good quality hay and small selection of vegetables/herbs like cabbage, kale, coriander, parsley, carrots, celery, spring greens etc.
*things to buy the first time
A roomy cage/hutch. If indoor rabbit a 48" dog crate is a good cage or possibly some type of pen that they cant jump out of.. depends how much time they will have to exercise. Outside most people seem to have 5 or 6 foot hutches, could have one with a run attached. Obviously you need food bowls, water bottles, nail clippers, toys, hay, litter tray and litter (eg wood based cat litter)
*any thing else you think might help
Go to your local rescue.. maybe they will give you some good advice as well as find you a lovely rabbit.
Find a good vet.. rabbits need 2 injections VHD is yearly and Myxi is once or twice a year. He/she may need to be neutered/spayed. a pair of rabbits is best as they like their own company so maybe you could look for a pair at a rescue then you dont have to worry about doing the bonding bit :wink:
hmmmmm i'll keep thinking
What area are you in? Maybe we can suggest a good rescue to visit :wink:

This rescue site has lots of information you need to think about before taking on a rabbit http://www.greenfieldsrescue.co.uk/rabbits.asp

If you give us an idea of where you are, we may be able to suggest a rescue you can also contact, you will get lots of good information from them and also they will offer you follow up backup when you get home unlike some large national pet shops.

Janice

Back