• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flystrike....Need pictures for a project

Gem

Wise Old Thumper
Has anyone got any decent pics of flystrike :?:

Ideally I'd like a pic of a bun covered in maggots and one showing a bun clear of maggots.

I know Flystrike is an upsetting subject for some people and I don't wish to cause distress.

Any photo's I recieve are to be used in a diet presentation, detailing the effects of letting your buns get too overweight.

Thanx

Gem x

I think a bunny covered in maggots would be long dead - the reason flystrike is so lethal is because the maggots are invisible until you look very closely - by which time it's often too late.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I have some photos of Nougat that were taken after she'd been treated. My poor girl didn't make it, but I think it's important that people should know the effects of flystrike and how quickly it can do damage.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/helenshaw/Nougat/nougatflystrike.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/helenshaw/Nougat/nougatflystrike2.jpg

These are very distressing photos.

This is Nougat as she was, my pretty girl

nougat1.jpg

Yes, it will help, but there are lots of other things you can do. I am absolutely devastated at what happened to Nougat, as I thought I did everything I could. I thought flystrike only happened to neglected bunnies. but it all happens so fast (literally that bad within about 12 hours - overnight). I think basically Nougat's problem was that she was overweight and couldn't clean herself properly.
I had fly paper up, cleaned the bunnies every day.
This year I will - Rearguard all bunnies, fly paper, spray with dyna-mite (natural fly repellent) clean out every day, make sure buns aren't overweight.
I'm sure there are other things people can add.

Its not just rabbits that get flystrike. I worked on a farm and saw terrible effects that had been caused by flystrike on sheep, and cattle. A friend had a piggy with a wound and turned out that maggots were there too. It is very nasty!!

Don't forget to check all your pets!!

on the whole, its not the maggots that kill a bunny but the terrible infection from the open wounds that owners dont notice in time under the fur or if the maggots bury into the muscle layers. we see loads of flystrike every year and most rabbits are ok after treatment but its not very nice and its one of the worst things we see in practice and i hate having to deal with it. it seems to start earlier each year too. the worst case i saw had 'pockets' of maggots all the way up her back, she survived. we also once had a house rabbit who was kept in immaculate conditions get flystrike too, we and her owners were puzzled to how. ive also seen it in cats and dogs, guinea pigs and rats.
flystike is an awful disease and even though we still see a lot, it does lessen every year so people must be ousing and caring for their bunsters better (and we sell a ton of rearguard!)

My beloved Bilbo was lost to flystrike :cry: :cry: :cry: it will haunt me for the rest of my life :cry: :cry: :cry: he was a house bunny, kept in very very clean conditions. He was slightly over weight, but kept clean and groomed everyday. It happened so fast, the night before he was fine and healthy. No sign of anything wrong, by the morning he had magots :cry: :cry: . I rushed him to the vets, they operated to get those nasty things off him, but he went into shock, wouldn't eat, went into statis and even though the vet did everything he died at the vets, he was 9 and a half :cry: :cry: :cry: I've made my self cry now. I kept blaming my self and even still wonder what I could have done to stop it. It could happen to anyone. I'm so sorry to go on about it, I just want people to be aware of how quickly it can happen.

:shock: :shock: Ok so I'm paranoid about my buns getting flystrike :shock: :shock:

Where can I get the Rearguard stuff? and does it work?

HS said:
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I have some photos of Nougat that were taken after she'd been treated. My poor girl didn't make it, but I think it's important that people should know the effects of flystrike and how quickly it can do damage.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/helenshaw/Nougat/nougatflystrike.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/helenshaw/Nougat/nougatflystrike2.jpg

These are very distressing photos.

This is Nougat as she was, my pretty girl

nougat1.jpg
OMG :shock:
Wish i hadnt looked now :(
its terrible isnt it
you must of been so upset finding her like that :(

I'm going to be really worried about my 2 angoras over the summer. I think I'm going to have to give them both crew cuts so I can check them easier! :shock:

I get rear guard from the vets. It's around £9.99 but lasts around 8 or 10 weeks. It does not repel flies, but it stops the magots from forming.

At the rescue I help at, one of the bunnies used to be really prone to flystrike for no apparent reason, so she was regularly rearguarded. It obviously worked because I would often find beige dried out fly eggs on her - the rearguard stops them from hatching.

Rearguard is a bit like one of those shoe-polish in a bottle things, you know the ones with a squeegie bit on the end, you literally squeegie it all over the back half of the bunny. Best to do it on a warm day, as it does make the fur quite wet and so wouldn't want bunny to get cold.

The other product is Xenex, which is an insecticide so stops the maggots from forming again, but it is also effective against fleas, mites etc. It's a spot-on treatment which you put on the back of the neck a bit like some of those cat flea treatments (but Xenex is VERY TOXIC TO CATS so don't put it on a cat), the dose is weight dependent so it's important to read the instructions properly.

Thanks Helen, thanks for all your help guys :thumb:

I too have seen flystrike although I was only nine, thats my worst fear now I have 13 buns.

Back