• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Would You Be OK About Giving Injections....??

Would you be OK about giving your Bun medication via INJECTION if shown how to do so?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Lots of posts seem to come from RU members having problems administering oral Meds to their Bunsters. If you were shown how to give an injection by your Vet/Vet Nurse would you be happy to administer your Buns Meds in this way? As lots of Vets ALWAYS seem to prescribe Baytril as an antibiotic giving it by injection would be MUCH easier as unlike some Meds oral Baytril tastes FOUL!! I feel that giving unpalatable Meds by injection is more likely to ensure the FULL dose is given. Jane and Buns xx

Yeah it really ticks me off that vets don't give this as an option. When I had a rabbit that needed fluids but we decided that home nursing was best I was alound to give fluids s.c. plus I'm a bloody student vet nurse..! I wish more vets allowed it as an option. I'm usually too wimpy to ask though :oops: :roll:

If I did it correctly infront of the vet and it was better for the rabbit that way they I would. Infact, when I came to collect my rat after an op I asked if I could take Mary home too (he'd had a dental). He was due injections and when the nurse asked the vet if she could make it up orally instead he said he was sure I'd manage injecting it just fine - a nice confidence boost! Though giving him meds orally is no problem - even if I don't use the 'mix with something yummy' method he generally takes syringed meds fine as he's had to be syringe-fed several times after dentals.
One reason I'd be hesitant to inject is the potential damage you could cause if you didn't do it correctly - I'm not sure about buns but I know rats can get 'Baytril burn' on the injection site which forms a big scab and takes a while to heal.

My vet reckons that Baytril given by injection is better anyway as it is less likely to cause GI disruption than if given orally.

I voted yes - I'd be happy to give injections into the scruff - probably wouldn't want to do anything more difficult, like the myxi into the ear, or like my cat has anabolic steroid into a muscle sometimes.

Done it before, when a bun had to have daily baytril injections. Vet just gave us a handful of pre-filled syringes and asked us to return the used ones for proper disposal.

I suppose it might partly depend on the drug involved. I wouldn't want anything to do with VHD jabs as accidently sticking yourself with one of those can cause a lot of damage!

Tam

I like getting routine stuff like vaccinations done at the vets anyway (although I guess if I had a large number of buns I wouldn't!) because they get a good health check at the same time :D I'd really only want to do it for a short-term condition that didn't require the bunny to go to the vets as often as medication was required!

Tamsin said:
I wouldn't want anything to do with VHD jabs as accidently sticking yourself with one of those can cause a lot of damage!

...You'll find you are a hell of a lot more careful if you are injecting something dangerous :lol: Can't see vaccines being a good thing to hand out to any old person though!

I'm not sure if I should have answered as I already do give meds via injection :?

I don't particularly want to give baytril that way though as it is no more effective(I asked about this at the vets) and I have heard about sterile abcesses forming at the injection site. I might consider it for a really impossible rabbit though, for instance if Strawberry needed it. I'm not sure I could manage to get him to keep still for it orally :roll: He has lots of escape power :wink:

Erm id probably pass out - no if it was really important i probably would but the idea does scare me a bit!

most vets wouldnt give out injections, its not illegal but unethical. if someone cant orally medicate their pet at home we get them to come to the surgery every 48 hours for injections administered by the nurse.
i inject my all my animals, but then im a nurse, im not sure if i'd be happy doing it if i was an 'ordinary' owner.
but then of course there are the multiple owners who own diabetic pets who go away with large stocks of needles?! so you could ask if its any different?

I`m quite confident injecting now but i must admit when my vet first taught me, ( a fair few years ago now ), i was shaking like a leaf and apparently went as white as a sheet! :oops:
Personally i`d rather do it myself if possible rather than make an unnecesary trip to the vets stressing bunster out even more.
I think it`s down to the individual though as i know my mum would pass out at the thought of it!

Su.x

i am happy to give my own injections.
i had a diabetic dog, and kept my own small flock of sheep so i have had plenty of experience with it!
my current buns (not a cake :lol: ) came to me with syphilis and my vet gave me the penicillin and syringes so i could treat them myself. it would have cost a pretty penny if i had needed to take all of them in at weekly intervals for 3 visits!
i am not keen on doing intra muscular though and i dont think i would be happy to do it on anything smaller than a lamb.

I give all injections/ Vaccinations myself and cant imagin coping with several buns on daily injected meds if I had to take them to the Vet to have the meds administered :shock: :shock: I think I'd just have to move us all into the Vets permanently!! I have one Bun on up to THREE injections A DAY!! Blimey, not being able to inject him at home would be IMPOSSIBLE!! Jane and Buns xx

thats why its only done every 48 to 72 hours (depending on meds), its not practical to expect an owner to come everyday, if an owner cannot medicat and a animal needed daily or multiple injections in a day we would just hospitalise it. and i wouldnt know if its the same at all vets, but we only charge for the amount injected, no vets fees, time fees etc, which actually works out cheaper, if you took injections or oral meds home you are charged for eveything as well as a dispensing fee :roll:

bizzy_vicki said:
thats why its only done every 48 to 72 hours (depending on meds), its not practical to expect an owner to come everyday, if an owner cannot medicat and a animal needed daily or multiple injections in a day we would just hospitalise it. and i wouldnt know if its the same at all vets, but we only charge for the amount injected, no vets fees, time fees etc, which actually works out cheaper, if you took injections or oral meds home you are charged for eveything as well as a dispensing fee :roll:
Becks is on daily frusemide for the rest of his life!!(Congenital Cardiac Disease) I am only charged for the bottle of Dimazon (Frusemide)- and that is at discount!! No consult/dispensing fee...I HAVE A GREAT VET!! :D :D Jane and Buns xx

i ve voted yes ....but i do have a bit of a needle phobia so not sure how i d go on .
i would give it a go though if needed ...thats if i could stop my hands shaking enough to try .

Angie

JCO said:
Becks is on daily frusemide for the rest of his life!!(Congenital Cardiac Disease) I am only charged for the bottle of Dimazon (Frusemide)- and that is at discount!! No consult/dispensing fee...I HAVE A GREAT VET!! :D :D Jane and Buns xx

We've got a bun like that at the rescue :( We too get it discounted, but Millie has it orally :?

I'd be happy to inject my own buns, I've done dogs and cats with no problem, it just convincing my vet to let me have injectable meds :roll:

I don't think I'd like to inject Baytril though, I think I'd be too worried about the risk of abcessation at the injection site :?

I definitely wouldn't mind giving injections. I have to use the syringe quite a lot for my buns and it just stresses them out. I know it's for their own good, but I hate upsetting my buns so much.

Carol

I've never done it amd until I get some level of experience or have at least witnessed a vet to do it, I don't think I will. I'd be scared I'd too it wrong even if it isn't that hard. I wouldn't even cut my rabbits nails but have a vet do it. :oops:
Maybe my mother would, but I wouldn't. Not yet anyway.

I had to give my old bun Bilbo injections when he was poorly. It was a different vet who firmly believed it was more effective this way. I was very scared to do it, the first time I did it the needle went straight through the skin of the scruff and out the other side :shock: :oops: :oops: I was horrified! but Bilbo was so laid back and did not even flinch! :shock: It really helped that he was a very good paitent. I could just sit with him on the floor and stroke him, then quickly inject him and he would hardly notice! much braver than me! I fainted getting a blood test! :oops: :oops:

Back