• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baytril

Angie65

Wise Old Thumper
I've struggled to get to Flint to have his syringe-feedy baytril thing. Is there an easy way? (He's been treated for an abscess). The vet showed me how to do it, but it's really hard & I'm forcing him to open his mouth :(

The vet has suggested mixing it with equal parts ribena, which I will try tonight. :D

The vet that I saw last told me that mixing with fruit juice might reduce the effectiveness of the Baytril because of the acidity. The vet that i had seen previously told me to mix it with apple/orange/tomato juice though. We just struggled with Albert and gave it to him neat as we didn't want to risk reducing the effectiveness. I did hear someone on here saying that they administer it on a cabbage leaf though...that might work and I bet its not as acidic as fruit juice!

I've been giving Mary a course of Panacur for the last month. As he was on a bit of an assortment of meds at first, I wanted to give them to him in the least stressful way, and I've carried on doing it now he's on just the Panacur. I've got a shallow bowl for him, and crush up either some pellets or a biscuit-y small animal treat (they never get these usually, it's just a one-off for his meds). I then mix with a little water and the Panacur, and voila! He gobbles it down very quickly. You might need to add something really yummy for him as Baytril tastes disgusting - yes I know this from experience (learn from my mistake that if you run out of hands you shouldn't hold a syringe in your mouth after it's been in a pot of Baytril! :lol: ) but obviously not too much that he's going to get full up and leave some, as you won't know how much Baytril he's actually eaten

Lettuce leaf worked a treat for us just the right shape to hold the liquid and no stress for the bunny a result!

even if they keep their mouths closed just poke it in the very corners and then give him a treat afterwards.

Alfie was really bad and i kept giving him his fav treat (banana) afterwards and after a while he even opened his mouth for me!

Karly said:
I've been giving Mary a course of Panacur for the last month. As he was on a bit of an assortment of meds at first, I wanted to give them to him in the least stressful way, and I've carried on doing it now he's on just the Panacur.

That sounds like a good way to give medicine, might try that with Albert's panacur!

By the way... do you have a boy rabbit called Mary????!!!!! :lol:

melaniejb said:
By the way... do you have a boy rabbit called Mary????!!!!! :lol:

Yes :lol: Even the vets have got used to calling him a he rather than a she now! Long story, but yes I did know he was a boy when I named him :lol:

Alfie kennedy said:
even if they keep their mouths closed just poke it in the very corners and then give him a treat afterwards.

That's what I used to do with Charlie, but he got used to it after awhile. but the 1st few times were the hardest. I found if was easier for me to hold Charlie and my mum to poke it in :)

Good luck :)

I had to give my rabbit oral Baytril using a syringe for a few weeks recently, and it was very stressful for the both of us! My philosophy towards it, however, was that the medication was making her better, and I just had to keep perservering.

I basically just gave it to her straight up. I avoided mixing it with her treats as I wanted to make sure she got her exact dosage. I tried mixing it with banana once but I found it really didn't mix that well and she probably wasn't going to eat all of it. I also tried sprinkling some on broccoli which worked the first time, but my bunny was so alert when it came to smelling the baytril, she never touched it a second time. Again, having her best interest at heart, I just had to stick the syringe into her poor little mouth... :cry: But she's back to her happy and relaxed self now, so it was worth it.

Having two people can also make it alot easier. Good luck!

Back